Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HVAC2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Gurgling noise in HVAC Attic Air Handler
    The Attic Air Handler of our HVAC First Co. unit makes a gurgling noise when the AC is on. This does not happen when the Heat is on. This is an oil / hot water / cool water system. Any ideas on what this is?
    Doc Harrison Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jun 4, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Help is needed to answer this question. There are three possibilities as to what this could be causing this noise. The first thing to check is the condensate drain. If the "P" trap is not deep enough, the gurgling is the water being sucked back into the unit instead of draining properly. This will require a re-piping of the drain. If you only hear the noise when the unit first comes on or after it shuts off, that is normal. The refrigerant will gurgle until the system pressures equalize. If the noise is coming from the refrigerant lines during normal operation, the system charge may be low on refrigerant. Please re-send when you can isolate the noise, and I can tell you how to fix it.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Most air handlers are pull through coils. If there is not enough return ductwork, it doesn't matter how deep the trap is. Dirty filters will also exasperate the problem. Problem is trap or static pressure, hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower/Air Handler motor noise. Loud humming. [ 2 Answers ]

We have ~ 1991 Carrier 58sx high efficiency condensing furnace and central AC. Now the air handler is making a loud humming/vibration noise when the fan kicks in (the blower motor for the air handler makes the noise, not the gas furnace/exhaust blower). The serious electrical humm is loudest when...

Awkward Gurgling Squeaking Noise [ 2 Answers ]

Every so often in the wall nearby the electrical control unit for the HVAC system, I am recently hearing a gurgling dripping noise and a squeaky flapping noise if you can understand what I mean by that. We did have a problem where we had to replace a pipe for the AC system however, I don't know if...

Gurgling noise in apartment bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

First, thanks in advance to anyone who offers up advice. I'm a relatively handy guy who likes to tackle things myself. I've owned a 60 year old rental property for two years. It's an old house chpped into six one b/r units and recently one of the tenants passed away after living in her unit for...

Gurgling Noise from old pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old pipe in the basement that was used as a drain off from a washing machine. When I flush the toilet upstairs I can hear the water gurgling in this old pipe. Why is that and how can I stop it? Thanks, Mike :confused:

Gurgling Noise In Pipes [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard a noise for the past month in my water lines, in the wall where the main water shut-off is located. However, it is not constant. It is a humming/gurgling noise in my lines. Im thinking that it originates from my main water shutoff point, because when you put your hand on the valve, you...

View more questions Search