Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rabryan1951 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Metal studs vs. wood studs
    Can metal studs be used in a basement setting where there is no water problem?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 4, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Ive Used Them Before, They Take A Little Longer To Install But Your Walls Are Straight, Keep In Mind When Your Doing Your Trim Shooting Trim Nails Want Work As Well. We've Always Used Trim Screws.
    And Im Not Totally For Sure But They May Be Galvanized. Ive Only Used Them On Commercial Work, Which Were Concrete Floors And There Was No Problem.
    You Should Be Fine
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Jun 6, 2007, 08:30 PM
    I don't see any reason that you cannot from a structural point of view. But no water doesn't exclude moisture. Be sure to prime and paint with a moisture resistant paint. A galvanized dip from a local company would be best. If in a few years if rust starts to bleed through that will be the beginning of a long process of possible failure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal or wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Which is better in building a house wood or metal studs in the basement?

Framing with metal studs. [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to build a wall with 2 door openings using metal studs. How do you frame for the door openings? Is it necessary to use wood in the opening? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Framing a door opening with metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am adding a guest bedroom and bath to our finished basement. I purchased 2 1/2 wide studs (as they were less expensive). However I don't know how to fram the door opening with this size stud. Do I need to return the 2 1/2 and exchange or the normal size stud or is there another...

Using Wood Studs with Metal Studs [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a guest room and bath in my basement. The currect wall studs are metal. I have never worked with metal stud before therefore I am wondering if I should continue with metal or can I use wood as well. The current studs look like they are 24 oc. I have to frame in a...

Placing insulation using metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to attach insulation to the metal studs? There is got to be something better than tape, maybe a wire? Please help-=

View more questions Search