Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lwchris Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Sub Panel ran from sub panel
    I have a Main load center that is configured like a sub panel. By this I mean that neutral is isolated. At the SE after the Meter there is a service disconnect then an aerial drop to the Main load center. I want to run a 60amp sub panel off this panel. Is this OK? Can I be connected like a normal sub panel?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Sure, just wire it just like your main panel with the neutral bar insulated and isolated, and the equipment ground bar bolted directly to the panel's metal box.

FYI, there is no actual definition in the code for "subpanel",even thou the word is used when a panel is fed by another panel. As you noted your Main panel is wired "like" a subpanel, the issue is once the feeder leaves the box that contains the main service disconnect, the neutral and ground is separated, so it appears to a subpanel.

Not assuming you don't understand, just taking this opportunity to explain a bit more about the topic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

Can I run a sub panel off another sub panel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sub panel in my garage run off my main service. Can I run another sub panel off my garage sub panel for a new storage room next to my garage? Doug

Main Panel to Sub Panel [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a CH MBE4040B200BTS Meter main panel on my pump house drawing only power to run booster and well pumps, here is what I wish to do: Add a CH BRS225 (feed thru) to a CH BR4040B200 Main Breaker sub panel for my shop. Both panels are only 200 amp service, I will not be running more...

Main Circuit Panel to Branch Panel? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello experts, OK... My Main Load center in my home has a branch circuit connected to a 60 amp breaker. The branch feed wire is a 4awg copper wire. The branch panel is downstairs and it has a 100amp main cutoff breaker installed in it. It feeds the whole downstairs including... (1)...

Kenmore Elite Dryer Toe panel - how to get panel OFF! [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model # 110.600094990 27 inch Electric Dryer - NOW How the heck does one take the Toe Panel Off / or Open this lower section of the dryer? There are two lower edge clips and two upper edge retainers. I CAN NOT get the panel to budge! This is a 7 yr old unit. Thx DAS

View more questions Search