Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darkness1970us Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Jun 4, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Splitting an RCA signal
    Okay, I hope this is in the right place.

A little information about what I am trying to do:

I have three televisions and about a half dozen video game systems. The televisions sit right next to one another, and the systems will be on a rack (right now they are under the televisions). Currently, 2-3 systems are plugged into each of the televisions with a switch box, as well as a DVD player on one of them.

What I would like to do is wire each television into an 8 way switch box, and have every system and the DVD player split to each of those boxes. This way anyone can select the system from the rack on the television they are going to use.

I've done a search for the switch box, and found it with no problem. I am having some difficulty finding RCA splitters. Y-connectors seem to be common enough, but I need to split to 3 different directions. I've found 4-way splitters with signal amps, but I don't think I should need an amp if the signal should only be on one television at a time (and really don't want to spend $100 each for 8 splitters.)

Anyone know if the amp is really needed, and if not where I can get 3 way splitters? Thank yo.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Couple of thoughts:

1. You may be able to make up your own 3-way RCA-style splitter using components from Radio Shack. They're not difficult to wire up.

2. However, you should be aware that splitting signals like this can cause degradation to the signal quality. It really doesn't matter whether all the various TVs and games are all on or not - as you split the signal the power levels get split too, but an even worse effect is that if the signals aren't properly terminated you can get all sorts of terrible reflections in the signal, due to the mis-match of impedance. A well designed splitter (or the amplifier box you mentioned) should be designed to take this into account. This may not be too much of an issue if the RCA cords are carrying audio only, but if you're using them for the picture signal, you may find the picture quality suffers without a well-designed splitter.
    darkness1970us Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Jun 4, 2007, 12:07 PM
    That gives me some info to work on. I'll hit Radio Shack this week and see what I'm looking at to make up some wires for the older systems (N64, PS-One, Super Nintendo). I'll probably have to bite the bullet and drop the money on the amps for the newer systems, as a degradation of quality for those would actually be noticeable. As far as the termination, the switch boxes are store bought, and should take that into account. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living together in Oregon-splitting assets [ 2 Answers ]

From what I understand Oregon is not a common law state. I have lived with my girlfriend for some 17 years (except for a 2 year hiatus in the middle). We have had joint checking accounts, file taxes separately, keep our original names, have comingled considerable sums of money, owned 2 businesses...

Splitting up [ 4 Answers ]

Hello well its not really about dating but really need some advice , my ex and me split up about one month ago I caught him in bed with another woman , and found out since we finished he has had numerous women in the three years , I can't seem to get over this he abused me emotionally to. Any...

Parents splitting up [ 8 Answers ]

My mum wants to split up with my dad even though my dad says they should at least make an effort to work things out but my mum is very stubborn. If this happens then everything will be wrecked, house sold, everything, gone. I cannot ing let this happen to my family! My sister and I are...

Parents splitting up [ 5 Answers ]

Over the holidays my father informs us that he has been seeing someone for a few months now and is leaving my mother and little brother. My mom don't work and hasn't for years being a stay at home mom and she don't drive either. My father wants me, hubby and 2 kids ages 3&5 to move in with my...

Splitting sibling [ 5 Answers ]

can the court split 2 kids up when both of them are in state custody cause of the mother but the kids have different father only one child knows her father but the other child doesn't have a father at all cause the mother want tell the state who he is... 5 yr old girl... 1 yr old boy.

View more questions Search