Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastordez77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Dodge Ram A/C working, then not working
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Within the last year whenever I turn the a/c on it will work fine and after about 5 or 10 minutes will start to blow hot air as if I turned the a/c off and had the fan blowing outside air.
    At first I started turning the a/c off and then back on which would temporarily fix the problem. With time it has gradually gotten worse where the a/c will not turn back to blowing cold air when I turn the unit on and off. I have also noticed when the fan is blowing the hot air, it doesn't blow the air as hard as when the a/c is working.
    Just a few days ago, after doing my regular routine of turning the a/c off after the cold air stopped blowing, I noticed air was still coming out of the vents. I know some cars have the feature where you can get outside air to blow by having the vent open and the fan off, but mine doesn't.
    I have taken my truck to every mom and pop garage known to man and even Dodge Service Centers and no one knows what is wrong with it. I had one place tell me to change out the control switch, and I did, and it still didn't fix the problem. Can you help?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Have the thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) checked/replaced. My advice is to only take it to Dodge for A/C servicing.
    phoshouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastordez77
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Within the last year whenever I turn the a/c on it will work fine and after about 5 or 10 minutes will start to blow hot air as if I turned the a/c off and had the fan blowing outside air.
    At first I started turning the a/c off and then back on which would temporarily fix the problem. With time it has gradually gotten worse where the a/c will not turn back to blowing cold air when I turn the unit on and off. I have also noticed when the fan is blowing the hot air, it doesn't blow the air as hard as when the a/c is working.
    Just a few days ago, after doing my regular routine of turning the a/c off after the cold air stopped blowing, I noticed air was still coming out of the vents. I know some cars have the feature where you can get outside air to blow by having the vent open and the fan off, but mine doesn't.
    I have taken my truck to every mom and pop garage known to man and even Dodge Service Centers and no one knows what is wrong with it. I had one place tell me to change out the control switch, and I did, and it still didn't fix the problem. Can you help?
    Dear pastordez77, did you ever fix your a/c problem in your truck. I'm having the same problem and was curious what you did to fix yours. Thanks.

Mike
    toddrgudde Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 06:15 PM
    It is a broken blend door actuator which does not stop at its limit and goes around in the direction you have the climate control set at and breaks the plastic gear between the blend door and the actuator thus having the above problem
    scooter83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2012, 01:44 PM
    I have the same problem with my 2001 Dodge ram 2500. I noticed the shaft for the motor on the blend door turns all the time. I rotated the air cold / heat knob to the heat posistion and noticed the motor shaft turned the opposite direction all the time. I then turned the knob to the neutral posistion and the motor shaft stopped. So I turned the knob to the cold side and when I had cold a/c air blowing out the vent I turned the knob to the neutral posistion and it continues to blow cold a/c air all the time. This is not a correct fix but it works. I will wait till I have to replace the heater core before I tear out the heater box, and then I will repair the blend door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dodge ram a/c [ 14 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a dodge ram truck and his a/c is not working. Just warm/hot air comes out. I looked under the hood and see that the compressor activates for about a second and then shuts off for about 5 seconds. On and off just like that. I put a similar relay for the a/c clutch relay but...

4.7 o4 dodge ram gets hot [ 1 Answers ]

I have an o4 dodge ram 4.7 that gets hot past the normal mark on the gauge and at one time overheated and set off the check engine light when I ran my a/c last summer. If I turn on the heater it stays past the norm mark slightly, I flushed the system and replaced the thermostat, now there is a...

Dodge caravan Radio /CD player not working [ 0 Answers ]

After installing pyle dvd player and wired FM modulator my factory installed radio stopped working. I used the cigarette lighter wires for dvd player and modulator. I have used only two wire(which shows 12V while ignition is on) from the three connected to lighter. Third one is cut and unused....

View more questions Search