Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Loriz Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2005, 03:28 AM
    New hard drive 60gb reports 31gb on PC
    I recently had my computer rebuilt. I bought a new 60gb hard drive but It only shows up on my computer as 31gb. Any and all advice (detailed) is much appreciated.

Also any help on up keep, Thanks Guys!
    Loriz
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2005, 05:37 AM
    You need to check to see if the drive was partitioned. Do you have a D drive listed in My Computer? I would also go back to the people that rebuilt it and ask what they did.

May 23, 2005, 05:04 PM
    Hi Scottgem,
    I've contacted my PC builder, being leary myself, he said perhaps I need to update my BIOS (which is my next Quest) I've also composed a list of my PC's info. Hope it helps you to help me, I don't know if he partitioned it yet because he's been unavailable. When I know, you'll know.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Loriz

Here's info;

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    System Model: Compaq Presario 061 DT057A-ABA S6220WM NA410 0n31411RE101GIOVA10
    System Serial Number: MXM40500KV
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Celeron
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Main Circuit Board b:
    Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO. LTD
    Gamila/Giovani/Neon series 030
    Serial Number: 3C11299786
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.05 11/25/2003
    Drives
    33.81 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    28.34 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    CREATIVE CD4831E TS030808 [CD-ROM drive]
    MITSUMI CR-4804TE [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
    Maxtor 6Y060L0 [Hard drive] (33.82 GB) -- drive 0,
    s/n Y23RA8NC, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
    248 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 33.81 GB 28.34 GB free

Network Drives
    None detected

May 24, 2005, 05:38 AM
    I doubt if it's a BIOS issue With your processor the BIOS should have no problem with a 60G drive. Its most likely a partitioning issues. I checked the model # (Maxtor 6Y060L0) for the drive and its definitely a 60G drive. I would get the PowerQuest Partition Info utility from here: http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3....html#PARTINFO

And run it to see what it says about your partitions.

May 24, 2005, 02:15 PM
    Hello SCOTTGEM,

Here's the info you requested, (This part is all Greek to me still!) Thank you for helping me, my PC guy is hard to get hold of (and He's here in town) I'll just be waiting until I hear from you Sir.

Lori

PowerQuest PartitionInfo 8.0 -- Windows NT/2000 Version
    General System Information:
    Total Physical Memory (bytes): 259,506,176
    Used Physical Memory: (bytes): 193,740,800
    Maximum Page File Size: (bytes): 635,289,600
    Current Page File Size: (bytes): 321,503,232

=================================================
    Disk Geometry Information for Disk 1: 4111 Cylinders, 255 Heads,
    63 Sectors/Track System

PartSect # Boot BCyl Head Sect FS
    =================================================
    0 0 80 0 1 1 07

ECyl Head Sect StartSect NumSects
    1023 254 63 63 66,043,152

Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
    Actual values are:
    0 0 80 0 1 1 07 4110 254 63 63 66043152

================================================== ===
    partition Information for Disk 1: 32,247.7 Megabytes
    Volume PartType Status Size MB
    C: NTFS Pri,Boot 32,247.6

PartSect # StartSect TotalSects
    0 0 63 66,043,152

================================================== ==
    Boot Record for drive C: (Drive: 1, Starting sector: 63, Type: NTFS)
    1. Jump: EB 52 90
    2. OEM Name: NTFS
    3. Bytes per Sector: 512
    4. Sectors per Cluster: 8
    5. Reserved Sectors: 0
    6. Number of FATs: 0
    7. Root Dir Entries: 0
    8. Total Sectors: 0
    9. Media Descriptor: 0xF8
    10. Sectors per FAT: 0
    11. Sectors per Track: 63 (0x3F)
    12. Number of Heads: 255 (0xFF)
    13. Hidden Sectors: 63 (0x3F)
    14. Total Sectors (>32MB): 0 (0x0)
    15. Unused: 0x80008000
    16. Total NTFS Sectors: 66043151
    17. MFT Start Cluster: 786432
    18. MFT Mirror Start Clust: 4127696
    19. Clusters per FRS: 246
    20. Clusters per Index Blk: 1
    21. Serial Number: 0x367CCF617CCF1A8F
    22. Checksum: 0 (0x0)
    23. Boot Signature: 0xAA55

May 25, 2005, 05:44 AM
    Well it definitely looks like they only created one 30G partition. Following is from Win XP help on partition:

To create a partition or logical drive
    Using the Windows interface

Open Computer Management (Local).
    In the console tree, click Disk Management.
    Where?

Computer Management (Local)
    Storage
    Disk Management

Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive.
    In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen. (note: you want Extended)

Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    You can create primary partitions, extended partitions, and logical drives only on basic disks. You should create basic volumes instead of dynamic volumes if this computer also runs MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows XP Home Edition.
    On a master boot record (MBR) disk, you can create up to four primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended partition.
    On a GUID partition table (GPT) disk, you can create up to 128 primary partitions.

May 26, 2005, 04:30 AM
    HI SCOTTGEM

NOT SURE BUT, I THINK I'VE FOUND MY SOLUTION. PLEASE REVIEW THIS AND GIVE ME YOUR ULTRA EXPERT OPINION. PLUS ANY STEPS TOWARD MY NEXT MOVE. THANKS SO MUCH FOR WORKING Through THIS WITH ME.
    ________________________-

LORI

The drive is larger than 32GB, but the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=operating%20system" onmouseover="window.status='operating system'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">operating system</a> only recognizes 32GB.

Question
    Why does my system only recognize 32 GB?

Answer
    If the operating system, BIOS, or MaxBlast can only recognize 32 GB of the drive it may be caused by one of the following:

Drive Jumpers: Applies to Mac and Window users. On drives that are larger than 32 GB there is a Capacity Limitation Jumper (CLJ) or the Alternate Capacity (AC) Jumper setting. This jumper will limit the capacity of the drive to 32 GB and should only be used when the BIOS hangs when trying to auto-detect the drive. If you have two jumpers shunts on the drive you will need to remove the CLJ or AC jumper. To resolve the issue use the standard jumper settings.

If you format the drive with the CLJ or AC jumper then the drive capacity will be limited to 32GB. After removing the CLJ or AC jumper the drive will still be recognized as 32GB. You must reformat the drive without the CLJ or AC jumper to gain the full capacity of the drive.

For more information on Windows XP/2000 installs and the Cylinder Limitation jumper please reference Answer ID: 1374

BIOS: On older systems (pre- November 1998) the BIOS may not support drives that are larger than 32 GB. In the BIOS setup please set the drive type to AUTO detect. If the BIOS detects the full capacity of the drive then the BIOS will support the capacity of the drive. If not please perform one of the following:

Check with the system or motherboard manufacturer for any BIOS upgrades for the system.

If a BIOS update is not available from the manufacturer you can also visit the following site: www.esupport.com and download the BIOS Agent to determine if an update is available for purchase for your system. The BIOS Agent will identify the BIOS on your system and provide you with all of the information that you will need for ordering a BIOS update. MaxtorŽ Corporation provides this information as a courtesy to its customers and has no official affiliation with esupport.com.

(Recommended) Purchase a PCI ATA controller card that will support the capacity of the drive. The two benefits of ATA controller cards are:
    The ability to support large capacity drives
    The ability to support the faster transfer rates of the drive. Maxtor's online store, www.maxtordirect.com, has a complete selection of ATA controller cards that support all Maxtor drives.

The last option would be to use our MaxBlast software. The MaxBlast software will install an overlay (EZ-BIOS) on the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=hard%20drive" onmouseover="window.status='hard drive'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">hard drive</a> to support the full capacity of the drive.

Operating System: Windows XP and 2000 have a 32 GB format limitation for FAT 32. That means if you formatted the drive in FAT 32 with Windows XP and 2000, the largest partition supported is 32 GB. You will need to format the drive in NTFS if you want to partition the drive larger than 32 GB.

FOUND THIS AT - http://maxtor.custhelp.com/

May 26, 2005, 05:53 AM
    Loriz,
    Its certainly a possibility. But your BIOS is dated 2003 (BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.05 11/25/2003). Also your drive was formatted as NTFS (C: NTFS Pri,Boot 32,247.6)

By the way. There is no problem in having multiple partitions on a drive. Frankly, I recommend at least 3 partitions: C for just the OS, D for Data and E for programs. Doing it this way makes it easier to backup data and recover from problems.

So I would not be looking to increase the size of your C drive (actually I would think about decreasing it to 20G). I would either create another partition or 2 from the remaining space.

If you want to decrease the size of the C partition then I would get a copy of Partition Magic to do it. I would then make 3 equal partitions as suggested above.
    collar Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2005, 12:50 PM
    Hi,

I may happen there is lost or corrupted partition occupying that space. You can try Active@ partition recovery utility to try restore it. I once had a similar situation and this soft fixed a problem.

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

2nd hard drive... [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there guys... I have 2 hard drives, I'm in the net so I know my PC can never be safe, I want to know how can I secure my 2nd drive from spy and viruses, so that if ever a virus gets in they only infect my primary drive... is there any free software for this, I want to prevent virus from...

Cannot see hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have a compaq desk pro en trying to load win 98 . Promt says I have no hard drive or cannot read hard drive What could be wrong?

Pc hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

? Dose anyone know if I put a larger hard drive in my old pc can you transfer every thing from the c drive to the new dard drive and I mean everything? If so how is it done? It can't be as simple as copy and paste C drive to D drive. Thanks for ay help. Bob H

View more questions Search