Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Jun 3, 2007, 07:53 PM
    College Electives
    I am currently entering my senior year as an accounting major with a minor in math. So far, I have taken nothing but required classes and I now have to take two electives before I can graduate in the spring. The classes have to be in a department other than my major or minor, so I can't take any business or math classes. They can be any other classes, such as a general education class that I haven't already taken and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

I have a pretty heavy course load this last year and as bad as it sounds, I would like a class where I can pretty much just show up and get an A.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Have you thought of any humanities? Sciences? Englishes?

I don't know where you go to school or what country you are in, but at my college I took a humanities during a particularly rough semester, (Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry, College Algebra). It had very little homework and what there was, was very simple.

Make an appointment with your advisor if all else fails.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Have you taken an intro to psych or an intro to philosophy? What about a computer class? An English class like short stories? What about a music class? Piano lessons? (I took piano lessons for two semesters, it was fun). Maybe a Health Education, Phy Ed type class?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 07:58 PM
    I took Survey of World Religions, very easy A and virtually no homework.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Swimming, or some fun sport activity, a social science class.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 08:13 PM
    My religion class had a TON of homework... you must have been lucky, J_9!

I'd shoot for a computer class, as that will give you something to add to your resume. Depending on your school you can take a class in Access or FrontPage, which are good programs to have basic knowledge of. The two I took of that sort were easy, but it helps if you have a good understanding of computers to begin with.

I also agree with a sociology or psychology course; those are usually pretty interesting, and most of the work will probably be in the form of group discussions. Philosophy is really interesting, but the one I took had lots of reading required, so not so good for a light load!

I once took a class called "Travel and Tourism" which covered all the tourist destinations in the Western Hemisphere - I love to travel so it was really, really interesting. I also took yoga :) Look for something that fits in with your interests, and you won't mind the work.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 08:22 PM
    I'd suggest some sort of appreciation class. Maybe one for music?

Also, at a highly accredited local college where I live, I know that there used to be a class on the appreciation of walking. (I'm not kidding!)
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 08:43 PM
    J_9, mine had weekly discussion questions, a chapter a week to read (usually 50+ pgs), bi-weekly quizzes, articles in current media (had to read and post response), mini-paper, midterm and final! You got off easy!

Appreciation of walking? That's even more hippy than my yoga class! :)

An appreciation class is a good idea, though, especially if there is a subject you are really interested in.
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Jun 3, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I have narrowed my selection down to the following: Intro Anthropology, World Geography, American Government, or Intro to Sociology. All of the above classes are from a group of humanities/social science classes that are required to graduate. I have already taken economics, psychology, art, and those are the remaining ones. Most of the classes have about 100 freshmen who tend to show up to class about once every two or three weeks. By simply showing up to class every day, it should not be to hard to earn a good grade.

I am leaning towards anthropology because I have heard that the professor has a chimpanzee that she works with and has taught to use sign language. She brings the chimp by class a few times a semester and I think that would be neat to see. Apparently as long as you praise the chimp and don't call it a monkey she will give you a good grade.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Anthropology sounds interesting, especially if you get to play with a monkey, er, chimp! Glad to hear you've narrowed your selection - I don't think you could go wrong with any of those classes!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

College to go to [ 2 Answers ]

I want to become a teacher anyone no a really good college in Ohio I thought about Youngstown university any advise would be greatly welcomed

Lyon College [ 1 Answers ]

Can you get me the name of the tennis coach at Lyon College, Batesville, Ar.

College [ 6 Answers ]

With colleges that require you to live on campus the first year or two, will any allow you to bring your baby with you? I know Longwood allows it in certain cases but I was wondering if anyone knew of others that did. If not does anyone know if those colleges will let you live off campus instead?

View more questions Search