Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nadasudds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Pex for radiant in a remodel
    Hello,

I am currently remodeling a bathroom in a 40+ year old home that has hydronic baseboard heat. My question is whether it is possible and/or recommended to use Pex in the bathroom to supply radiant heat and remove the existing baseboard heater.

Thanks
    Doc Harrison Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jun 7, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Yes it is possible. The pex pipe line has a product to do this, the problem is that the baseboard heat runs at about 150 degrees F. and the bathroom floor radiant should run at about 110 degrees F. A mixing valve will have to be piped in and that is assuming that the baseboard is currently on its own circuit. Also, because the radiant heat is different than the rest of the house, it should be on its own thermostat. I don't recommend this as a handyman project for any but the best handymen. I would at least work with an HVAC tech. because it is impossible for me to predict all the problems possible with this change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pex Plumbing [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping some one can help with my question regarding Pex plumbing (AKA Zurn Pex). I have recently run Zurn Pex throughout my renovated home for use in baseboard heating. The pex is used for supply and return and traditional copper baseboard will be installed as the heating element. The plan...

Radiant floor heating book? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to plan a radiant floor heating system for my house (built in 1912). I am basically redoing the entire house top to bottom so I figure I might as well change from radiators to radiant heating. I understand the concepts and have read everything I can find on it. I'm looking for a good...

Pex tubing [ 1 Answers ]

I am running pex tubing in a bathroom I am building in my basement. Can the pex run flush with the 2x4's or do I need some kind of spacer so it is not laying flat on the wood? Also what kind of bends can the tubing stand?

Radiant heating and tankless water? [ 6 Answers ]

We are getting ready to bulid a 5000 sq ft home, and I'm getting advice from friends to do floor heating instead of usual blowing air heating, and to install tankless water heaters instead of regular water heaters. What is the difference in cost, and will I save money in the long run by saving on...

Tankless heater for Radiant floor heating [ 1 Answers ]

I read somewhere that you can't use a tankless water heater for hydronic floor heating. Yet the tankless heater I purchased (Nortis or something like that), specifically states that as one of the applications. Is there anything I need to be concerned about?

View more questions Search