Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SnB Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Pregnant Dachshund maybe
    You know, I looked on this site for advice about my baby, a mini dachshund. Then I realized that this site is just like many others I have seen. You ask a question about IF your dog could be pregnant and what to expect, and the fact that you'd like advice from non-judging individuals. I am a Professional, I do not neglact my animals. The fact is I have a female dachshund who is a year old. I have a 3 month old male, who I had every intention of getting neutered around 6 months which is when I feel it is safe. (And my vet by the way). My female went into heat, and they got "tied". I don't know if she is pregnant or not, but I was going to ask for advice on this site. All I see are judging people talking about people not being responsible enough to spay or neuter a pet. Even those that had the intention of neutering an animal, like myself, do not have the understanding of people on this site. I'm highly discouraged by this web site and just felt that I should express the fact that if someone is asking questions - obviously they have the BEST intentions for their pet and the puppies that may or may not come from an unexpected pregnancy. If they didn't care they wouldn't ask. I'm sure I will receive replies about being ignorant etc. however, maybe the people providing that advice are the ignorant ones... Ignoring the one's who have the best intentions.. Food for thought? Probably not. And as information, the male dachshund was a rescue puppy. I didn't expect to obtain him, but fell in love with him. My female is inside all the time - so before you JUDGE, in my mind there should never have been a pregnany possible. :confused:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Thanks for sharing.

Jun 3, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Thank you for listening :0)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Most of the people giving their time here and elsewhere love dogs. They are quite aware of the misery that results from careless and irresponsible breeding. There is no excuse for it in most cases. So all the sudden they are to take up their time helping somebody that couldn't take the time to learn how to care for their dog properly? Well I am not going to apologize for myself or others. Nor am I going to quit discouraging breeding
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 3, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Ok what was the question?
    Topperthedog Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Jun 3, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWill
    Ok what was the question?
    Can a three month old puppy tie with a b*tch in heat?

I seen a neutered male do it, but not a little puppy.
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 3, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Oh that was a real question. I will leave the fun and games to his Vet.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Actually, there wasn't a question here. Just telling us that we are like every other site out there and rudely telling us that we are rude. Interesting approach at an attempt to find help. Hey Doc, have you managed to figure out a way to examine a dog through your computer screen yet?

By the way SNB, you are right that usually a male is neutered around 6 months. Depending on the vet, females may be spayed as early as 4 or 5 months. Spaying a female is usually a good way to ensure that she won't develop uterine cancer later in life. I won't add anything about it being a good way to avoid the possibility of accidental breeding too because it seems that would just upset you.
    Topperthedog Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Jun 3, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWill
    Oh that was a real question. I will leave the the fun and games to his Vet.
    That was actually my question. The original poster just did a rant.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 11:00 AM
    I can only assume you didn't want our advice, you wanted us to say "Oh you poor thing, this is terrible that this has happened to such a responsible dog owner. We know you did everything you could to prevent this from happening but it happened anyway. Now lets see if we can help you raise some puppies to sell." Sorry, but my advice is still "GET YOUR DOG SPAYED OR NEUTERED". Perhaps it is time to ask yourself why all the sites are saying the same thing.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Can a 3 month old dog really get "tied" or is it really able to get a female pregnant? I'd like to know this myself... if it is medicaly possible. My mom takes in dogs to be re-homed and she nevers worry's about the younger dogs trying to mess with a female. Sometimes people will drop of a whole litter on her including the mom.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 12:32 PM
    At 3 months, few males have their testicles descended and might or might not make a tie, but if they did, I doubt that would have any viable sperm. 4-5 months? Past that, I would definitely keep them away from a female. I know of litter mates having puppies her first season. Even if a male isn't fertile yet, or is neutered, there is always the chance of infection and injury. I hope DocWill can give us some numbers on this when he drops by.

Jun 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Maybe I should have said that I rescued the male dachshund and I have a another male that was neutered at 6 months and that I had every intention of getting my new male neutered at 6 months. I discussed the need to get my female spayed with my vet, but was told that if she cannot be mated, then there was no need. I don't need pity from anyone, I need answers. I don't feel sorry for myself. I felt after reading these posts, that I would be called names, or BYB, as I have seen many times , and some people are on here for HELP. On a different post I stated that if there are pups, I will be getting them all spayed and neutered before they even leave my home. The fact is I didn't know that a 3 month old pup could even mate. I did do my research on the internet and the internet states that they normally become frisky at 5-6 months.

I am a person in need of information about my dog whom I care a great deal about, and I would like to know when is it safe (not recommended) but SAFE to have puppies fixed. (Again if there are any). I came across too strong, but people that come here, come for help, not to be lectured. You don't know the people on here. I am, once again, financially able to take care of all these puppies prior to them leaving my care. I have already planned to take time off around the time she should be due (which is around June 9th).

Can someone offer kind advice.

Questions:
    When is it safe for a puppy to be spayed or neutered.
    What are the first signs of pregnancy?
    She does not show any signs, but would be around 30 days pregnant from when they got tied.
    What is the deal about cancer in females if you don't get them spayed? I have not heard of this before.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
    I am sorry for my knee jerk jerkiness. I try to be kinder to those blind sided. There is really no sure way short of ultrasound or X-rays to tell. An experienced person can feel the puppies now or perhaps before long with a smaller dog. I once tried with guidance from a vet, and couldn't. My friend claims her neutered, male Golden was 100% right on numerous pregnancies, and non pregnancies switching from a fascination with the females vulva to her nipples within weeks of mating.

I am not sure there is a consensus of when is best to spay/neuter. The trend is down from 6 months to 4 months. Medically advisable? Unless a vet is way out of line with the mainstream, I say, don't argue with him. Actually may be more of them are her now.

False pregnancies are so common and so convincing, that as I said, X-rays.

Spayed females never get ovarian or uterine cancer. I have never seen numbers for say liver, stomach, or like the $1200 pancreatic benign tumor my spayed Lab had this year. It is possible lower hormone levels result in fewer other cancers, but for all my strong spay/neuter feelings, I will not engage in baseless hype.

In my defense, besides the breeding questions that upset me, there are questions like this, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/3...ing-98482.html If those puppies don't make it, there will be some broken hearts. If they survive, they will be difficult to socialize into nice pets.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SnB
    Questions:
    What is the deal about cancer in females if you don't get them spayed? I have not heard of this before.
    I'm rather surprised you haven't, since it's one of the main reasons given for spaying. From Why You Should Spay or Neuter Your Pet | The Humane Society of the United States

Spaying eliminates the possibility of uterine or ovarian cancer and greatly reduces the incidence of breast cancer, particularly when your pet is spayed before her first estrous cycle.
    newlablover Posts: 120, Reputation: 10

Jun 5, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman

In my defense, besides the breeding questions that upset me, there are questions like this, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/3...ing-98482.html If those puppies don't make it, there will be some broken hearts. If they survive, they will be difficult to socialize into nice pets.

Was this quote meant as something against myself or the person who previously owned my puppy?? If against me, I am new to this and came on here to ask for advice. If you won't be nice and help me, I will just look for advice somewhere else and find someone who won't judge me and will actually offer help! :mad:
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 5, 2007, 02:33 PM
    I can promise you no one is judging you for rescuing puppies. The anger goes out as it does from me to the irresponsible person who failed to get their dog spayed or neutered and then when the dog had pups couldn't even let the pups stay with the mother for the 8 weeks to give them a strong chance for survival. This irresponsible person is the one I am sure Labmans post was addressing. No one here is going to fault you for trying to help 3 week old puppies. But the sad truth is weaning them this young may bring on tragedy and sadness for you and the others who were trying to help. I would suggest you report the person who you got the puppy from to the local spca so they can determine if he has broken any laws by endangering the pups.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2007, 07:50 PM
    I am sorry Mr Pippin had to explain what I meant, and thank him. I greatly appreciate people like you that take on challenges like a 3-4 week old puppy otherwise unwanted. You and the other people getting the puppies will have your hands full. It is hard for me to think the owner of the mother hasn't been very irresponsible. You are part of the solution, not the problem. I blame myself if I post something that can be misinterpreted. In your last post, it looks like maybe your puppy will make it. With continued work, your experience could have a positive outcome. I am always happy to help those that are taking puppies needing a home. I am very sorry if I sounded like I faulted you for others' mistakes.
    love4orchids Posts: 7, Reputation: 4

Sep 22, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Comment on RubyPitbull's post
    You are rude... just because you have no life and all you do is know about dogs.. dont take it out on a poor girl that's just asking for help... 16 year olds get pregnant all the time and it works out.. why is a dog having a liter a bigger deal... sheeesh
    love4orchids Posts: 7, Reputation: 4

Sep 22, 2010, 11:27 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    And... you are rude! Things happen and honestly my dog might be pregnant as we speak.. do you think I want to hear me being called a bad owner because I let her have one heat cycle and even though she was fenced in and always inside I am a bad dog owner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

Last week my dog got sick with this rare hemalitic anemia sorry not sure how to spell it .the problem is that we tried to save him with blood transfusions and medicine he never made it out of the hospital 4 days of work on him the only thing they said that something triggered it off . Not sure what...

PM on smelly Dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

Hounds may be a little more smelly than other dogs. Still you should be able to keep him fairly fresh with regular brushing with a soft bristled brush. . Make sure he is in good health, including clean ears. One other problem is rolling in stinky stuff. Sometimes you have to clean up their...

Very Sick 4 yr old Dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

My 4 yr old Dachshund is very sick. Today is Thursday. I have taken her to the vet Monday and Tuesday and she doesn't seem to be any better. She started last Saturday with shivering and being very lethargic. By Sunday I was very worried as she wouldn't eat and seemed to be limping and holding...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I Have Been Taking Care Of My Brother-in-laws Two Mini Dachshunds Since He Was Called Up (army) About A Year Ago, One Of Them Has Become Very Aggressive About Everything Space, Toys, Bones, My Daughter, But I'm The One Who Does For Them, But He Sleeps With My Daughter Why Would He Start...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I just adopted a 5 year old miniature dachshund. I have noticed that she has not been eating very much. She goes over to her food dish, puts her nose down into it and pushes the food around. What does that mean?

View more questions Search