Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 11:47 PM
    Welder Wiring / % of Panel Capacity
    I recently purchased a Lincoln Precision TIG 375 welder(here) at a business liquidation auction. It came with huge pin type connectors (shudda been a hint). After I got it home and read the manual, I discovered it requires a 175 amp breaker when used to it's max capability. I have 200 amp service and if I can get that size breaker for my panel or a replacement panel, can this be done or would 400 amp service be best? I figure it is unlikely that I would ever be welding up an aircraft carrier at the same time I'm drying laundry and cooking dinner.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 05:22 AM
    I really doubt you will be able to find a 175 amp breaker that will fit and is listed for any manufacturer's 200 amp panelboard. The largest will be 100 or 125 amp at the most.

Before you upgrade to 400 amp, and the Nimitz pulls up, you can try using the largest size breaker that will fit in your panel. The welder may be rated to require a 175 amp feeder, but that rating is for when the welder will be used for welding large materials.

If your only going to be doing .25" or .5" materials, a 100 amp feeder will be fine. If you end up needing more power due to the type or size materials you work with, then you can upgrade to a 400 amp.

I hope you got the female mate to the Pin & Sleeve male connector. If not be prepared to spend $150.00-$250.00 for the mate, depending on the amp size, voltage rating, and manufacturer.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    I hope you got the female mate to the Pin & Sleeve male connector...
    Yep, I annoyed the electrician that was unhooking everything after the sale as his opinion was that the female connector went with the building. Speaking of which, the connectors are Pass & Seymour PS3100P7-W (Male) & PS3100C7-W (Female). The sticker on the connector reads 100 A 480VAC 2P 3W Watertight. Does the lack of specific 230V info mean they are not rated for 200+ A / 230VAC single phase use? The specs at http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/U089.pdf seem to indicate that they use a different color coded connector for 250V.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 02:52 AM
    Since the connector is rated for 480 volts, it will handle 230 volts. If it was the other way around, then no, a 260 volt unit cannot handle 480 volts. You may want to try to find one from a surplus dealer on the net, as these are very expensive connectors.

You may be able to connect your welder hardwired, with flexible conduit, as long as a disconnect switch is close by.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring an outlet for 230V welder? [ 7 Answers ]

My building is 3 phase. How do I go about wiring a 230V receptacle? (1 phase) It is the Hobart 187 Mig. Do I need to put a brand new circuit in and wire in a new receptacle? The 3 phase/1phase has me confused. I bought the building off my uncle. He said there is a 220v outlet in here but he pulled...

Main to Sub Panel Wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I received an answer prior to wiring this up, but am a bit confused. I think I was told to keep the ground separate at the sub panel but am not sure. If so, I only need to pull 3 wires (2 hot legs and 1 neutral). I have attached my PDF for your review. Thanks, ...

Load panel capacity 200 amp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a challenger load panel SB20 (20-40) CT. Which is a 200 amp panel. The number of switches currently in the panel are 19 total. Total amp of all switches is 360. Some of those circuits are dedicated to a sole source. GFCI to Whirlpool tub for example. This panel has 20 1" spots...

Sub panel wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker in my subpanel box to be used by a hot tub. I noticed that the breaker has a post for the neutral wire load. Is it necessary to use this post or can my load neutral wire be connected to the neutral bus (same as breaker pigtail and supply neutral)?

Wiring my garage for a 230 VAC single phase welder [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 220 outlet for my 230VAC single phase welder in my garage I have a 60a double breaker is it as simple as black and white w/ red stripe wires to breaker and green to ground? Thanks for any help

View more questions Search