Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    okmaralilondon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Honda won't start
    Hi I'm from london and I have a 99 honda civic coupe, it was made in the usa, reacentaly I changed the engine. I repklaced the engine with another 1.6 engine from a british spesification car but now my car won't start. It makes the noise as if it is about to start but it doesn't spark, I called out an engine diagnostics guy who said there was no power going to my cpu. I have changed my distrubutar but still no joy, please can you help
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 22, 2005, 04:01 AM
    CPU = ECM or ECU in Honda terminology.

Are you sure you did everything right when you did the swap? As in - getting the proper ECU for your engine? Search for the engine code of the engine you just swapped in, and search and see if your ECU is matching the engine. Are you sure the ECU you got is in good working condition? If you have a friend with the same engine as you do, try putting your ECU in his car and see if it works.

If you're not getting the power to the ECU, then I'd check if the wire harness (which you perhaps got from the other engine) is somewhere cracked or a wire cut. Are all the connectors properly connected?

Are you sure you are not getting a spark, or it just won't start, but you're not sure of the cause?

May 23, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Thanks
    I have still got my old ecu in the car as I thought that if I change the brain I would have to change my ignition barrel as it uses key chip. Also it might have something to do with the sensor that's connected to the cranck because the engine I put in has the same engine code but didn't have the sensor so we took the sensor off my old engine and replaced it on the new engine, I don't no what to do should I call out an auto electriction or should I just repair my old engine(very costly) thanks for your help

May 23, 2005, 06:38 AM
    If your new engine has the same code, your old ECU is fine (as in - it CAN run the same engine).

It seems strange that your ECU is not getting power. How reliable is that diagnostic? How much do you trust the diagnostic dude?

Try to pull the injectors (together with the rail), point them somewhere that will not ignite the fuel when it starts squirting gas, and have someone crank the car while you look if they squirt gas. If they do - your ECU should be working, since ECU controls injectors.

Are you getting spark?

Are all the electrical connectors properly connected?

Are you sure the engine you bought was working properly before you bought it?

May 24, 2005, 12:46 PM
    I have been told that it could be the sensor that is not giving a current to my distrubutar, because the old engine had the sensor but the new engine did not but we changes it over and wher are the injectors.

May 24, 2005, 02:57 PM
    When you pop your hood and look at the engine, injectors are mounted on the Intake Manifold which is connected to the engine, closer to the windshield. There are 4 injectors (you have a 1.6 liters engine, it should have 4 injectors), all connected with a fuel rail and each having an electrical connector attached to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 honda civic won't start PLEASE HELP [ 22 Answers ]

I live in LA and I have never had a problem. It has been raining non stop down pour for 17 days. Last night I went out and my car wouldn't start. It turns over but no fire. Battery seems fine. AAA came and got it started by adding fuel shaking it, I don't know what... He told me to keep it running,...

My 92 honda accord won't start why? [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the fuel relay switch on a 92 honda accord?

84 Honda Civic won't Start? [ 3 Answers ]

I think the Battery terminals touched while I was fitting a new battery in & shorted out a fuse, but I can't find which 1 it blew, Can someone help me out here??

Honda Accord won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My 98 Honda Accord won't start. When the ignition is turned on there is a loud, rapid clicking but the engine won't turn over. The battery is fully charged and the connections are fine. It worked fine last night. Any suggestions? Thanks.

View more questions Search