Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    betsy_schlak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Name of Spinning Picture toy
    If somebody knows what this is called, please help me!! It's circle-shaped and it has a paper disc of pictures sandwiched between two cardboard discs. The total toy is about maybe a 1/4 inch thick, not big at all. The discs are all held together by like a metal "brad" in the middle. On the right side edge, there's a square opening cut out, so you can see the picture through the window. You only view one picture at a time, and you turn a little notched thing on the side to view the next picture. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Jun 2, 2007, 06:27 PM
    It sounds a lot like a View-Master. View-Master disks are about 90 mm in diameter (about 3 3/8 inch) and usually have a wide paper like sandwich with 7 PAIRS of tiny slides. The viewer looks a little like a pair of binoculars, but has frosted panels on the surface away from the user's face. A lever on the right side rotates the disk to show the next pair of slides. The point of view of each image in the pair is shifted slightly to produce a sometimes striking 3 D effect.

Some stores stocked dozens of different disk sets, each set containing three disks. Many sets included photography of popular tourist attractions, historic sites and cartoons. The character cells in each pair of cartoon images were shifted more than the backgrounds to produce a layered 3D appearance. Some cartoon characters were modeled in stationary 3D models that resembled the more recent Claymation characters.

The standard viewer had to be aimed towards a light source to illuminate the frosted back panels. A deluxe viewer had a pressure bar across the top to activate a battery operated back light. For a while a variant of the disks had a phonograph like sound disk attached to the back to play back brief sound clips (required a special sound version of the viewer).

The manufacturer eventually purchased the manufacturer of a competing product that used a column of stereo images on each side of a rectangular card.

View-Master - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot of tourist attractions sold CHEAP mini slide viewers that only had a single eyepiece for displaying flat photographs of the attraction. One variation was able to use interchangeable strips of still pictures that resembled a SHORT strip of 8 mm movie film.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know the name of this toy? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what the name of this old toy was called: I had one in about the late 80's/early 90's (can't remember). It was a big plastic dog that sat upright but it had soft ears (like terry cloth or something). You'd take it in the bath tub (or pool) and it had...

Name this toy! Anyone Remember? [ 4 Answers ]

The toys were made after some sort of TV show or movie and I found a picture of one of the figures I had, and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me and I have asked a lot of people and they can't figure it out either... here it is http://i16.tinypic.com/2ajtmrn.jpg

I need to know the name of this toy! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so here it goes. I have a toy that is a pink poodle. It has little pink icecream cones on its belly, bottom of feel, and inside of the ears. It has a glittery nose and little tiny strips of shinny thing in the fur of the face. It HEAD STILL SMELLS! I have had it since I was little and I...

Name of magnetic toy [ 4 Answers ]

I have been trying to find the name of this toy for a while now, it is my by far my favorite toy, I used to have two of them but I lost one. I will describe it as best as I can. It is a little spaceman type figure about 2 1/8 inch tall. Its head has a black spaceman type helmet on that has...

Toy in Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

My little daughter dropped a plastic hair clip in the toilet and the toilet has not flushed well since - very slow. Have tried plunger and pushed a snake all the way through the house - flushed OK once pack to draining really really slow - What are my options?:(

View more questions Search