Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stas3000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 2, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Stock Valuation and Rate of Return
    There's required rate of return, discount rate, stock yield. All these terms have a lot in common and are key in investing, but how can I determine them when valuating a stock of a publicly traded company? There's a myriad of stock valuation methods I've read about -- DCF, CAPM, Gordon model, etc -- and almost all of them naturally involve some required rate of return or so it seems, since I'm not a pro at this. When I, as a potential investor, have an annual report in my hands of company XYZ that doesn't pay dividends,

1) what valuation model is most effective and
    2) how do I come up with a helpful rate of return and using what variables?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. My question is NOT homework!
    manik chand dey Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2008, 11:24 PM
    1-what I feel, that for a non dividend paying company, it is better to use CAPM valuation model.One thing very much special about CAPM is that, it differentiates the total return into risk free and premium over and above the risk free rate. So you can justify yourself at a point, what is your maximum expected return, given the beta.
    rcoon2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2012, 08:25 AM
    Great pumpkin farms just paid a dividend of $3.29 on it s stock. The growth rate in dividends is expected to be a CONSTANT 5% per year indefinitely. Investorys require a return of 15% for the first 3 years, a return of 13% on the next three years, and a return of 11% thereafter. What is the current share price?

That's the problem, but I don't get how to set my cash flows up and solve for NPV in my financial calculator with 2 different required return rates! Someone please help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preferred Stock Required Rate of Return [ 2 Answers ]

I need some help trying to figure out the required rate of return. The outstanding stock pays a dividend of 5 dollars at the end of the year. The preferred stock sells for 60 dollars a share. How do I find out the required rate of return?

Stock provision and over valuation of stock [ 4 Answers ]

can anyone send me double entry for stock provision ? Provision amount is 200,000. further stock is over valued by 100,000 what will be the accounting entry for over valuation of stock. Early response will be of immmmmense help for me:o

Rate of return on preferred stock [ 1 Answers ]

Company Z has a preferred stock outstanding that pays a $9 annual dividend. It has a price of $76. What is the required rate of return (yield) on the preferred stock? Thanks Lynn

Valuation of stock [ 1 Answers ]

Mary Smith commenced trading on 1 September 20x9 as adistributor of the straight cut garden lawn mower, a relatively new product which is now becoming increasingly popular. Upon commencing trading, mary transferred $7,000 from her personal savings to open a business bank account. Mary purchases...

View more questions Search