Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1to1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Unmarried Father Rights
    My daughter was born out of wedlock and her father wanted nothing to do with her. He signed her birth certificate only because I begged him to and promised not to go to court to seek child support. We do have another child that was born before we were divorced and the father does have to pay child support and does have visitation rights with that child.

Here is the problem. I have never denied the father access to both children since I wanted them to have as normal a life as could be under the circumstances. But now the father tries to be involved in ALL aspects of our daughter's life and I don't want him to be. I don't want him interferring with her schoolwork, for example, but he insists on going to her school and has caused uncomfortable situations for the teachers there. Of course he does have the right to be there for the other child since we share in educational decisions.

My question is this: does he have any rights at all? How can I keep him from going to school functions that don't involve the child he has court ordered visitation/rights to?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1to1
    He signed her birth certificate only because I begged him to and promised not to go to court to seek child support... I have never denied the father access to both children since I wanted them to have as normal a life as could be under the circumstances. But now the father tries to be involved in ALL aspects of our daughter's life and I don't want him to be. .My question is this: does he have any rights at all? How can I keep him from going to school functions that don't involve the child he has court ordered visitation/rights to?
    Thanks for any advice you can give.
    OK-you have never declined him to custody of both children... you promised him not to go to court about CS./if I am not mistaken/.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried fathers rights [ 11 Answers ]

What rights do I have with my unborn baby after he/she is born, and how do I go about obtaining these rights? The mother and I are both young and in college and do not know each other very well, but both of us agreed to have and keep the baby. What are the typical visitation rights in Georgia once...

Unmarried sons rights to his 2week old daughter [ 9 Answers ]

My sons ex girlfriend is saying his visiting rights are only for 2 hours every Sunday.Hopefully he will go with her next week to get the birth registered and his name will be put on the certificate as the fathers.What are his rights to see his daughter and need he get solicitors involved.

Unmarried Father [ 4 Answers ]

My nephew and his ex-girlfriend have a 1 1/2 year old child. The child has his last name and his name is on the birth certificate. He was there for the birth but they have not been together as a couple since she was pregnant. He has been paying her weekly support, WITHOUT A COURT ORDER. They have...

Unmarried fathers rights [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend & I have been dating 2 months but have known each other a lot longer. We don't exactly live together but may be soon. We are together everyday. We both have 3 yr old sons from previous relationships. My son is with me 24/7, he hasn't seen his but once in the last 2 months it was for 6...

Signing over rights between unmarried couple (17 and 18 yo) [ 26 Answers ]

My boyfriend is 18 years old and when he was 17 he got a 16 year old girl pregnant. Their baby is now 4 months old. While this girl was pregnant she physically attacted me and my boyfriend. And she broke into he's mother's house while he lived there and stole a car seat that he bought for he's car...

View more questions Search