Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Bio spot
    Does anyone know if this stuff is good or not? I've heard it works just as good as Frountline.
    I'm using Frountline plus, which is running about $100 a months for my dogs and cats. I'm looking for a less expensive yet effective route.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Well, Akae, I am sure that someone will slam me for this but I must confess, that I use Bio Spot for the very reason you point out. Money. Much less expensive, isn't it? When I discussed it with my vet a few years back, he told me he didn't have an issue with it and to do whatever works for me. I have been very pleased with the product. No problems. I can't vouch for it with cats but I have used it on dogs of all sizes over the age of 1 years old.

Two of my relatives have used Frontline Plus on their dogs, which I also found to be a good product when I used it. But, two years ago, both of their dogs were diagnosed with lyme disease! I think it has to do more with where they live, rather than the product failing them. They are in an area where the deer tick count is extremely high. Nothing is perfect. They are all preventatives. So, it doesn't mean that any of them are absolutely hands down 100% effective. It just means that your pets are less likely to pick up a tick, flea,. if using it, than without any medications at all.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
    I have heard good things and bad about a number of products. I have been around over 7 years, which is a long time in net years. I haven't seen any consistent pattern of negative posts on it. I say try it.

People have reported a lack of flea problems using a wide range of products. Since Aster came back to live with us in 03 at 10 years old and having a flea allergy, our vet suggested Revolution. We haven't had a sign of a problem. I could rave about how well Revolution is working, but I have no proof we would have problems without it. After all, we seldom had a problem for years with just one healthy young dog in the house and doing little or nothing. I am slower to jump to conclusions on little or no evidence than many.
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Thanks you guys!
    I've been using Frountline plus for many years and think it's wonderful. If I don't my animals get fleas while their outside going to the bathroom, then my house gets infested - happened once and that's not something I ever want to go through again.
    Because of where I live, I have to apply it 8 to 9 months out of the year at about $100 a month. It's crazy and I'm in a position right now where if I could go a cheaper route, it would be a great relief.

I'm going to try it.
    DocWill Posts: 239, Reputation: 40

Jun 2, 2007, 01:56 PM
    I don't use it due to ingredient, I prefer frontline, the plus is merely a tic deterrent the added cost doesn't seem that much of an economic advantage in my dogs living situation. Jake goes everywhere with me, so he basically would be the one at risk, I figure he is 21 now, he hasn't died from any of my medical experiments by now IM not worried about a tic. Frontline and Advantage have the same active ingrediente as raid roach motels. Little trivia for you, perfectly safe if orally consumed other than the plastic. Bio spot can cause a reaction in some dogs, that's why I personally don't suggest it, but I know others that have no medical issues with it at all. That small percentage of dogs that do or could keeps me from suggesting it. I hate when people come back to me and said, YOU KNOW THAT so and so medication You said to use almost killed my dog, and you call yourself a VET! Lmao never fails, So in avoidance to even the smallest chance of that conversation, I learned later that the almost died dog required a dose of Benadryl for a miracle recovery, regardless I Rx other items to avoid the excitement in the lobby of practice crazy pet owners that could detour my actual ability to those waiting in the lobby
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
    I have never used Bio Spot and I have no problems with it, just got used to Frontline. Now that Rosie the Rottie is back with me, she uses Frontline. Now if I had a new pup, I would consider Bio Spot. How is that for fence sitting? Lol
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Well, if it makes a difference shy, the price of biospot can make a world of difference. But, considering what Rosie has been through, I would stick with the Frontline. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
    True, Ruby. Very true. If Rosie's health had not been a factor, Bio Spot would have been a definite choice.
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Bio spot is much cheaper.
    More dogs may have a bad reaction to it than other products.
    In such a case, a cheap, over the counter drug takes care of it.

Well, I am sticking to Revolution although I have seen scary posts such as ''Revolution kills''. I will not beat up on anybody that chooses Bio Spot. A big thanks to DocWill for giving us the info to make a good decision.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Frontline has not been that effective for me but I have to many mongrel's running in and out... works for the first few days then poof... I have tried sargents and a few others store brands ,also I tihink advantage.. I going to give revelotuin a tryand maybe biospot also I have read about diatemaceous earth any thoughts on this "natural product"?. I have been afraid to try it.
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 05:10 PM
    I know somebody that was using diatemaceous earth. Her highly trained, valuable, beautiful Golden almost died of Lyme disease. But then I am sure some dogs on Revolution have died of it too.

Jun 2, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Gawd I hate even saying this, but I have posted worse. If you do decide to use Bio Spot at least do this as precaution.
    Check is your vet on vacation playing golf?
    Avoid weekend or late night applications at the first dose. If something does happen we may need him dressed in scrubs not golf shirt and shoes.
    Feed first, long story short if a reaction starts to happen a working metabolism helps combat it much faster than a dormient system.
    First signs will be tremors and vomit. Soon as these are seen Wash , and wash and wash off the application area quickly. Blue "Dawn" liquid dishsoap is the actual accepted cleaner for such topical toxins.
    Don't panic more cases then not after a good wash the poor ol dog will show normal neuro signs in 30-60 minutes, gives the liver and kidneys a chance to catch up the other reason food first, after 60 minutes and still have tremors, Head on over to the vet and tell um your experimental ice cream scooper went bad! I mean tell um what happened.
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 05:24 PM
    I bought the bio spot.
    I just got done doing a little research before I put it on my dogs and
    Have learned that it's ingredients are the same as 2 prescription flea/tick treatments.
    (s) methoprene (used in Frountline)
    And permethrin (used in k9 advantix)

So why docwill would you suggest not to use it?
    It has one of the same ingredient as Frountline and one of the same ingredients as k9 advantix.

Jun 2, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Active ingredient yes you are correct. The preservative ingredients in bio spot is the cause for reactions, similar to food allergies some dogs develop. Please understand I don't use it because I have allergic to most anything Lab, and knowing that Others use it and have no obvious signs of problems. Keeps me from suggesting it to others. It doesn't mean its bad for your dog. It means to me, soon as I knowingly suggest a product that has even the slightest potential reaction factor, It always hapends to be some crazy woman with a big mouth that has to scream at me and my ears work fine. Try it out, I posted what to do if a reaction hapends. I wouldn't expect one and don't want to see that. Let me know how things work out. I would love to add your dog to my memory bank of active users of Bio-Spot. I may ask you stuff some day!
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 06:10 PM
    About how long would it take for negative side effect to start happening if they do start happening?
    When are my dogs considered safe after I apply it?

Jun 2, 2007, 06:19 PM
    The most accurate answer to this entirely depends on motabolism. Fat dogs like me take longer skinny dogs much faster. I know I am a pain in the butt you aren't the only one to think that. But I don't know the dog. And I try to give the best advice I know to the patient in question. Having said that, it can't be as soon as 30 minutes, and as long as 2 hours. (reserving the right to be longer if one dog licks other dogs applied area) :)

Also in closing,. This goes for any topical med. Complete bathing and grooming chores 24 hours before application of topicals. Good to know stuff.
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 06:44 PM
    LOL! I don't think you're a pain in the butt.
    I'm not looking to hear what I want to hear,
    I'm looking to hear the truth.
    Some think I'm a pain in the butt for asking so many questions...

Thanks for all your help!

Jun 2, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Anytime, glad to be of help kind sir, please reply with your billing address

Ty in advance.
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Jun 2, 2007, 06:53 PM
    I have a collie, and due to the large amounts of hair, the product didn't work. As a matter of fact, the few fleas became an infestation. It also turned out he had an allergy to the fleas and lost all the hair on his butt. Thanks to Frontline, the fleas are gone, the hair has grown back, and he is a much happier puppy. The vet asked what I had done to get rid of the fleas, and I told him bathing and bio spot. He actually laughed, and shook his head knowingly, like he knew something I didn't.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Lol ladyviper I used the frontline last year and mine lost the hair on her butt.. they gave her a steriod shot and she got better... vet said it was a flea allergy... that's when I bought sargents, last week she started itching again... now I'm trying to find something new... I don't want to keep her on shots . I have another dog they live in the same house eat the same thing and I rarely see him scratch.. go figure

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fordyce's spot (White Spot on penis) [ 15 Answers ]

I have quite a lot of small white lumps on my penis and scrotum, after doing research and looking at pictures I think these might be Fordyce's spots, but I have found one spot which looks similar to the rest but maybe the littlest bit bigger and has a yellowish head, is it possible for the penis to...

Can NON bio dad sue bio mom for C/S ? [ 10 Answers ]

I am divorced from ex . Who has been a father figure to my oldest daughter for 15 1/2 years . She is 16 (17 in June of 07) . If she decides to move in with him . Can he sue me for C/S ? He is NOT the bio dad . And he does NOT have legal custody of her at this time . Can he sue me for C/S , or will...

Ms in bio technology in us [ 1 Answers ]

What are the universitys offering ms in biotechnology in u.s.a

View more questions Search