Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DragonFistLeo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 09:39 AM
    My career, or, lack there of.
    :(
    I'll be 33 in July, am a quarter shy of a degree which I don't really want, won't get me the job I originally wanted and which I still owe a lot of money for and I can't seem to find anything which really inspires me or that I'm passionate about and would also make good money. Can anyone offer any helpful advice or inspiration..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Decide what carrerr you want, what job you would like to do. And then work toward it, may take 4 or 5 years, but it is only time.

Your trouble is you are putting money as the factor of being a good job, a good job is one where you are happy, then you learn to budget according to the job you want to do.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Finish the degree. The most important thing it tells a prospective employer is not what facts or skills you learned, but that you can show up on time and finish what you start. A large majority of people who get college degrees end up working in a different field, but a much larger array of jobs are available to those who have some (any) kind of completed degree than to those who don't have one at all. Almost having one counts for very little, and may even be a detriment, because it says "quitter".
    henry3173 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 03:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFistLeo
    :(
    I'll be 33 in July, am a quarter shy of a degree which I don't really want, won't get me the job I originally wanted and which I still owe a lot of money for and I can't seem to find anything which really inspires me or that I'm passionate about and would also make good money. Can anyone offer any helpful advice or inspiration...?
    I can't offer you any advice but I would like to tell you that you are not alone. I am 34 and just received my associate's degree at the end of 2005. I just applied to a university but am thinking of not attending because of my personal situation (which is another issue altogether). I have always been interested in science and my major is plant biology but if you ask me what I will do with it, I have no clue. My gpa is 3.65 so I am not an idiot, just a bit confused. You will find your way as I know I will. Life goes on whether you are ready or not. Make the best of it, it is so short... it's scary.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Finish your degree. You made it this far. If you are looking for inspiration - trying volunteering with Challenger baseball or the Boy's Club. Then just keep your eyes and ears open for that perfect opportunity.
    Pook_Myster Posts: 117, Reputation: 38

Jun 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
    I am half way through my degree too. I have swapped and changed and procrastonated and wasted money. I deferred for a semester and got my head together, found some direction, asked myself what it was I wanted to achieve in life generally and how I could apply my studies to that. I decided that a sense of achievement and completion is what I needed. To have my degree framed on my wall, completed - is going to make me so proud and relaxed, and I'm not sure that I will be able to feel that without completing it. It is important to finish things that you have started for the ability to feel that sense of completion and for me that is worth the struggle through the remained of my course. I am sure that no matter where my life takes me I will be able to apply the skills that I have acquired through my studies to make the tasks I complete easier. Just the fact that you finish your degree demonstrated to future employers that you finish what you start, you are able to apply yourself to your tasks - you will acquire strong written communication skills and these are things that will impress no matter what avenue you tread.
    henry3173 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 02:32 PM
    I very much want to finish my degree and plan on doing so. However, I just got married last September in the u.s. and my husband is stuck in brazil (his home country) thanks to USCIS. He has never been in the u.s. illegally and does not have a criminal record. However, they are making us go through paperwork that will take at least a year before he can even enter the states again. I have not seen him in 4 months. This is why I cannot finish my degree immediately. I will be trekking to brazil for the next 6 months. I have not decided if I will go for a few short trips or just for a few months instead. I am still figuring it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lack of money, lack of job, banging my head against a brick wall it seems. [ 8 Answers ]

OK, this has been going on for over 6 months now and I need for it to end... ive not done anything and neither has he, but I am finding it very hard to get a job, the last job I had six months ago was temp,they let me go after a month being there. I have been trying hard to get work, as of yet its...

Lack of Trust [ 10 Answers ]

I have been dating this girl for about 1 year but we have known each other for quite awhile. We have recently had a baby girl on August 16 of this year. A little history My girl had dated this guy mike for about 3 years. He did nothing but hurt her and treat her like ****. All she ever did...

Lack of Comumication [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I are high school sweethearts and have been together for ten years and married for four of those years. When my husband and I started dating we would stay up all night talking on the phone and now we talk but then we fight. We can not carry on a conversation without one of us getting...

Lack of sleep [ 5 Answers ]

When I went to Alcoholics anonymous, they always said "nobody ever died from lack of sleep" many years later, I don't drink anymore, but my medical insurance won't pay for Xanax or Clonazapan (sleep inducers) because its not a life threatening illness

View more questions Search