Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uiyo_90_09 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Linux Installention
    How do I install Linux operating system (Fedora/Ubuntu) in a PC while I am using Windows XP and how to exist both of them after linux installention? How do I select which one will be the default operating system? Describe full step as you know. Thank you.
    synick Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 12:56 AM
    First of all you will need to partition the system, if the hard drive is entirely taken up, then you need to use software such as Partition Magic to chop it up.

Then you have to go through the installation of Fedora/Ubuntu, when asked specify that there is another operating system on the computer, ie: Windows.

Post installation, you will notice that when you reboot, you will get prompted for selection of the operating system you want to boot.

If you are not, and you are scared that you lost everything, make sure that you have your windows XP cd handy, put it in, then press F6 for recovery mode, and type FIXMBR. This will resotre the Master Boot Record so you are able to boot into windows, then try again because you have have missed something.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 02:07 AM
    Actually you don't need top do any of the above. I recently instally the current Ubuntu release (7.04) and the partitioning is done during the installation. The entire installation routine is shown here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

It assumes you want a dual boot system if it sees another OS.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Ubuntu installation has a very good installation wizard and you just have to read all the instructions carefully so that you don't delete your existing OS and your files.

Installation guide:[Ubuntu 7.04]

1. Insert Ubuntu disk
    2. Run the live OS
    3. Click on the Icon to install ubuntu
    4. Follow the instructions
    5. Reboot and choose OS to run

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Linux [ 3 Answers ]

I am using VI editor at work to try to compile my programs for school in C. When I compile I get the file a.out. When I do this on the school's site I am able to just type a.out in the command line and it runs. They are using AIX (whatever that means). I cannot do that here. It keeps saying no such...

Linux [ 5 Answers ]

I have a saa7134 TV cards .my linux (kernal 2.6)not configure for this TV cards.pls help me

Getting linux [ 1 Answers ]

Hi It's me again. First of all let me thank all the experts that have helped me with my problems. "THANK YOU GUYS" I ran all different sorts of scans on the computer and now it's running faster because all the rubbish files are deleted and the spy sweeper has killed all the spies. One of the...

View more questions Search