Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johntaylor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 02:03 AM
    Do I have to leave the family home when divorcing
    Do I have to leave the home when divorcing
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jun 2, 2007, 04:25 AM
    I believe that usually when you divorce, one of the divorcées keeps the house, and the other leaves. There are probably cases where the divorce isn't among lots of anger and hurt, in which case friendship and willingness to share the home may be retained.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johntaylor
    do i have to leave the home when divorcing
    Hello john:

Well, one of you does, but it doesn't have to be you. Your lawyers will work it out.

What's that?? You don't have a lawyer?? Then, dude - you're going to lose your house.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Whose name is on the deed to the house? Is both names on the deed? I agree that someone has to leave and someone gets to stay but that is for your attorney and her attorney to battle it out. The courts may say that the house be sold and no one gets to live in it. The proceeds split down the middle. Or one spouse buys out the other.
    Nothing is taken for granted in a divorce. However, if you do not have legal representation, you can lose your shirt and socks in the process.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Well I guess you can build a wall down the middle of the house ( I saw that in a movie)

But normally a person wants a divorce because they basically hate the other person and can't stand to be with them any longer for various reasons. So I just could not believe two people who want a divorce would want to live in the same house. Normally one has already left when they file for divorce since they can't stand to live with each other person so they move out, then file for divorce.

But I guess there is no rule that says you can't live in the same house till your lawyers fight over who gets the home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long can I leave a new Labrador puppy home alone [ 14 Answers ]

I'm thinking of getting a Lab pup but I don't want to be cruel by leaving it on its own too much! I currently have exams so would be able to pop back home every 3-4 hours, and then after my exams and then after about 3 weeks, I will be home for a good 2 and a half months. Then I will be starting...

Not on deed to family home [ 1 Answers ]

mother passed away aprox 3 years ago and put her marrige to 3 years husband on deed now husband my father in law has died in February and his sons did a quick deed on home and has clean on the house and has put up for sale with out any consent for me at my mothers funeral we all agreeed that ken my...

How to make my exboy friend leave my home. I live in Tennessee [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I lived together for 4 years. He has never paid rent but has paid half of the bills. I know longer want him in my house. I have asked him to leave but he just laughs. The house and land belong to me. I want him out now. He also raises fighting roosters and I want them off my...

Family Leave Act and Pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently employed for over a year. Can someone explain to me how FMLA will work for me since I will be out on Maternity leave. As of now when I give birth to twins I will have vacation (4weeks) Short term disability for about 6 weeks If I want to be out the entire 12 weeks of FMLA -...

Eviction from Family Home [ 3 Answers ]

Father 89+, 80% blind, dimensia, alcoholic, 50% incapacitated has indicated he has attorney to evict me (and my Mom if she objects) from familay home. I have lived for over ten years, pay rent, utilitis, some food (which I do not partake in), care for house, yard. Mom does not want me out as she...

View more questions Search