Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Investing Inheritance dollars
    Make about $50,000.00 per year gross. About to inherit about $57,000.00. I owe about $20,000.00 on a auto loan and another $8000.00 in other credit debt. Best to completely pay off loans then invest remainder or keep making current payments and use 100% of inheritance for investing purposes or some sort of hybrid mixture? Would like to get rid of my wife's 1987 Ramcharger, give her my 2003 Silverado and buy myself a new 2007 Silverado. Question too detailed??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2007, 06:54 PM
    So you basically want to spend all the money.

Since interest on cars and credit cards are much more than money willl make in the bank, you are much better off paying those off ( as long as you don't charge the cards back up, but put them away or cut them up.

as for the cars why a 2007, why not a great 2006 that may have been a rental or fleet vechile well maintained, with warranty and you don't lose all that value while you drive off lot.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jun 1, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    Make about $50,000.00 per year gross. About to inherit about $57,000.00. I owe about $20,000.00 on a auto loan and another $8000.00 in other credit debt. Best to completely pay off loans then invest remainder or keep making current payments and use 100% of inheritance for investing purposes or some sort of hybrid mixture? Would like to get rid of my wife's 1987 Ramcharger, give her my 2003 Silverado and buy myself a new 2007 Silverado. Question too detailed???
    Really need much more detail, such as 1) have children, if so their ages, if you want to plan for educ expenses 2) if you own home, if you rent, if you desire to own home 3) if you have adequate life, health, disability, auto, ho or renters insurance 3) if you have 3 to 6 months of net income in an emergency fund etc etc such as your tolerace for risk, and on and on such as if you are funding an IRA, 401(k) or other long term tax sheltered retirement plan. But basically I would pay off the debt, establish or begin establishing the emergency fund. Not purchase the 07 PU, rather purchase for cash a good used vehicle that you are satisfied with. After all that, investing would be OK with a proper mix of mutual funds if you are not an experieced investor.

Jun 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBondMan
    Really need much more detail, such as 1) have children 2) if you rent, if you desire to own home 3) if you have adequate life, health, disability, auto, ho or renters insurance 3) if you have 3 to 6 months of net income in an emergency fund etc etc such as your tolerace for risk, and on and on such as if you are funding an IRA, 401(k) or other long term tax sheltered retirement plan. But basically I would pay off the debt, establish or begin establishing the emergency fund. not purchase the 07 PU, rather purchase for cash a good used vehicle that you are satisfied with. After all that, investing would be OK with a proper mix of mutual funds if you are not an experieced investor.
    1) No children
    2) Manage apartments... free rent.
    3) Auto Ins (both vehicles) & Renter's Ins. My own life insurance policy and a company sponsored policy.
    4) About $3000.00 paper currency and $5000.00 Gold and Silver.
    5) Company matching 401K of which I contribute 6% of my income.

Planning on opening a Money Market account and a long term CD. Will definitely pay off my truck. Will substantially pay down my credit card (8.9% interest). Will buy some more gold and silver. Will probably talk to an investment professional before I do anything. Land? House? Not too sure. 46 years old. $25,000.00 currently in 401K. Perhaps too much personal info but I'm well armed as well.

Jun 1, 2007, 07:21 PM
    [QUOTE=Fr_Chuck]So you basically want to spend all the money.

Ten years ago, I would have spent it all in a day. Older now and feeling less invincible. Must consider the future but still like a little flash... not dead yet. I used to literally live by the philosophy that I may not be here tomorrow so I may as well live today and enjoy life on daily terms. Really didn't believe that I would live this long (47 this September). Do I "want" to spend all the money? Absolutely, but I'm not going to. If I were really wise, I would make this money work for me and get rich... don't know how though and not sure I have the patience.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jun 2, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Thanks for the info, I would put aside, 3 -6 months of net income in emerg fund, pay off debt, purchase place to live (mortgage is OK but I would pay off quick as posssible), ask investment advisor rules of using "catch up" IRA to set aside more for retirement (make plan to retire, set date, shoot for that date).

Jun 2, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBondMan
    Thanks for the info, I would put aside, 3 -6 months of net income in emerg fund, pay off debt, purchase place to live (mortgage is ok but I would pay off quick as posssible), ask investment advisor rules of using "catch up" IRA to set aside more for retirement (make plan to retire, set date, shoot for that date).
    Thanks BondMan. Good advise as things are right now. With China growing by leaps and bounds; with US companies jumping ship just as quickly; with our country on the cusp of entering a "North American Union"; with inflation on the rise in high gear; with an all-time record high national debt; with third-worlders pouring into our land at an exponential rate devouring jobs at ultra-low wages, avoiding taxation, creating an added tax burden on the American taxpayer and creating conditions ripe for civil war. With all these things and more happening simultaneously, do you really trust "the market?" I'm a purchase agent for a welding supply company and I can see from my seat that we are in trouble. The costs for copper, silver, steel & stainless steel, aluminum, etc. are rising at a huge rate. Not 2 or 3% but 10, 15, & 20% in some cases. The Communist Chinese are buying up the world's resources and positioning themselves to be the dominant leader in the world's economy. They're aggressive and they're communists. The communist philosophy is not the friend of mankind. Anyway, will our 401Ks and IRAs be worth 2 cents in 50 years?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    but still like a little flash...not dead yet.
    Hello Action:

Your little flash is costing you bigtime. I like flash too, and I drive a 20 year old Volvo. For the one car loan you have, I could buy TEN cars like mine. It runs real good too.

excon

Jun 2, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Action:

Your little flash is costing you bigtime. I like flash too, and I drive a 20 year old Volvo. For the one car loan you have, I could buy TEN cars like mine. It runs real good too.

excon
    Yeah, I have decided 1 thing for sure. I am going to completely pay off all credit debts. The $509.00 per month payment on my truck will go directly into a high yield account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my 2 dollars [ 1 Answers ]

What movie had the paper boy saying /wheres my 2 dollars. I also remember a black camro and a gray dodge dart drag raceing near the end which he finally beats the dodge. I thk a girl fixes the camro cause it was setting in he driveway towards the end before the drag race. The dodge was always...

Investing 1 million dollars? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband is being forced to sell a large piece of property in W. Tx. It should net around 1.5- 2.0 million. With taxes and realestate fee's I'm conservativly giving us in pocket around 1.3. I want to invest 1 million in a VERY secure way, with almost none to no risk. We lost an inheritance...

Using 401K Dollars [ 1 Answers ]

I have cashed in my 401K and know I have 60 days to reinvest to avoid penalties. However, I now need surgery and was wondering if I could use some of my 401K money to pay for the surgery and not suffer penalties... is that possible?

Using 401K dollars [ 1 Answers ]

I have cashed in my 401K and know I have 60 days to reinvest to avoid penalties. However, I now need surgery and was wondering if I could use some of my 401K money to pay for the surgery and not suffer penalties... is that possible?

View more questions Search