Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Jun 1, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Strange Electrical Issue
    :confused: Wondering if anyone can shed some light (no punn intended) on a very strange electrical problem I am having. I purchased a duplex last summer that was previously owned by my parents. When I first moved in I noticed that on occasion the lights in the kitchen would flicker and even go out for a few seconds and then come back on. I asked my mother if they ever experienced this and she said no not at all. About a year before I bought the house my dad had the electric upgraded, from what it sounds like they added wattage, not sure if that's the proper terminology. Anyway, about 4 days ago what will happen is we will have lights on in the kitchen, living room and bedrooms, now mind you the bedrooms and the living room is on opposite ends of the house, the electricity will completely go out in half the living room, the kitchen and one of the bedrooms. It appears as though the air condition/furnace goes out with it as well. Now what I find very strange is directly in between the kitchen and the half of the living room where power is going out, is the other half of the living room of which the lights stay on. Weird right? Last night it completely went out about 6 or 7 times, for about 10-15 seconds and then came back on. Can anyone tell me what may be possibly going on and is it something that I should be highly concerned with or just have an electrician come when I have the time. :confused:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 12:26 PM
    There is a loose connection someplace, and this can be anywhere, to include the panel, the main breaker, the meter, the utility line, or possibly someplace in the home wiring.

This may be difficult to trace until the electrician looks at the circuits being affected and determines what is common with theses circuits.

This is definitely not a DIY project, best to call in a good service electrician.

Jun 1, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Many thanks! I had even thought that it might possibly be mice chewing on something. My house is very old and the basement is one that is accessed through the porch, so mice getting down there is not a hard task. Don't know if you know the answer to this or not but what could cause a connection to become loose as you called it? I guess that is what concerns me the most.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Connections can come loose by several reasons. Vibration being the most obvious, age, fatigue, heating, overheating, things of that nature. Many are because the connection was not tightened properly when first installed.

While vermin do chew on wires, depending on the wire they chose, most only affect a small portion of the power in a home.

Jun 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
    That's good to know. I will call an electrician right away and have them come investigate. I don't want a house fire!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Have Electrician Tighten all connections in Panel. Old panel, was thinking maybe burnt buss.
    Have Him check Meter and Disconnect connections while he is at it.

Jun 1, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Thanks I will do that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a shower issue and venting issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 showers in my house 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs. Two of the 3 upstairs have stopped having hotwater in them, shower A is a tub shower combined unit and has no hot water in it, shower B is a shower only with a jetted tub in the same bathroom but not single unit. The shower in B has no hot...

Strange Hot Water Issue, Please Help... [ 8 Answers ]

OK, I've searched these threads and haven't really been able to find a problem like mine. If there is and I just couldn't find it, I apologize and would appreciate someone directing me to it. I just bought a condo. It's one year old, but I'm the first to live in it. 3 bed/3 bath. The...

Electrical issue [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: A schematic question -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am new to the community. I was wondering if someone could give me a little technical advice. My AC motor went out the other day. I went to buy a new one and the new one isn't...

Am I Strange? [ 12 Answers ]

hi I am a male and I am going to be 15 in April.During the last few weeks/months I have been masterbating every 2 or 3 days but I have never actually "cummed". I like girls and everything and get an erection often- at school in front of this girl I have just started going out with and at other...

Strange keybord related issue, hardware is OK! [ 2 Answers ]

The apostrophy/quote key & the accent/tilde key on my Dell 8400 (XP Pro) do not register unless hit twice or held down. I then have to back up and delete the extra characters. The keyboard is Ok (tried other keyboards). Worse yet, if a Windows password is set on the machine, ALL alpha-numeric...

View more questions Search