Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Huckleberry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Statute of limitations on ICBC debt / DUI.
    I was charged, pled guilty and was convicted with a DUI in British Coulmbia, Canada in the summer of 1999. I paid my federal fine, but was also charged a penlaty fee of about $1000 by ICBC. I had to pay $100 of this fine at that time to get a temporary license issued.

Since, I have moved to Ontario. I got a call yesterday from a person saying they were from ICBC looking for me, I was not home, my girlfriend answered and said that they must have the wrong number (they likely know that they don't).

In 1999, I happened to have an Alberta license as well as my BC one. (I had been working in Alberta and upon returning to BC they never asked me to turn in my Alberta license before issuing me a BC one.) When I moved to Ontario I had to get an Ontario license, not wanting the DUI to follow me for insurance reasons I never mentioned that I had ever been licensed or insured in BC, I just traded in my Alberta license and got an Ontario one. I also got insurance here in ontario and never had the conviction show up.

It's been almost 8 years that I have had this ICBC debt. I'm wondering if there is a statute of limitations regarding repayment. But more importantly, if I do continue to evade repayment will ICBC have any recourse to interfere with my current lisencing and insurance. If this is the case and they can give information to Ontaro Ministry of Transportation, or my insurance company, than I'd rather settle the debt quick before anyone in Ontario finds out about the DUI.

Also, I'm wondering if it is possible to get a legal pardoned for my DUI, thereby removing it from the conviction records that the MTO would search, and if so, what is the process for applying for a pardon.

Thanks,
    Huckleberry
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 1, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry
    I was charged, pled guilty and was convicted with a DUI in British Coulmbia, Canada in the summer of 1999. I paid my federal fine, but was also charged a penlaty fee of about $1000 by ICBC. I had to pay $100 of this fine at that time to get a temporary lisence issued.

Since, I have moved to Ontario. I got a call yesterday from a person saying they were from ICBC looking for me, I was not home, my girlfriend answered and said that they must have the wrong number (they likely know that they don't).

In 1999, I happend to have an Alberta lisence as well as my BC one. (I had been working in Alberta and upon returning to BC they never asked me to turn in my Alberta lisence before issuing me a BC one.) When I moved to Ontario I had to get an Ontario lisence, not wanting the DUI to follow me for insurance reasons I never mentioned that I had ever been lisenced or insured in BC, I just traded in my Alberta lisence and got an Ontario one. I also got insurance here in ontario and never had the conviction show up.

It's been almost 8 years that I have had this ICBC debt. I'm wondering if there is a statute of limitations regarding repayment. But more importantly, if I do continue to evade repayment will ICBC have any recourse to interfere with my current lisencing and insurance. If this is the case and they can give information to Ontaro Ministry of Transportation, or my insurance company, than I'd rather settle the debt quick before anyone in Ontario finds out about the DUI.

Also, I'm wondering if it is possible to get a legal pardoned for my DUI, thereby removing it from the conviction records that the MTO would search, and if so, what is the process for applying for a pardon.

Thanks,
    Huckleberry
    Just settle the debit quick if you can afford it and GET RID OF IT.

Give me a break, there are a lot of honest people in canada paying fines and you say you have a DUI and want it expunged. I wouldn't begin to tell you how to do that. You will never, ever get a legal pardon for a DUI.

In fact, I hope you get your licences taking off you so you can't drive again in any Province.

I live in Ontario. I read too much and have seen too much caused by drivers under the influence ever to let anyone like you off scott free. Anyone who has CPR as I do, and attended one too many road fatalities caused by DUIs would ever want to see you driving again.

So think about it.
    likewet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 06:05 PM
    ICBC only can collect bills inside the province of BC, they probely sold you dept to a collection agent. There will be no problem getting rid of them. Your DUI is long gone I wouldn't worry about it..
    gladman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 09:59 PM
    likewet

Your knowledge of B.C. Law seems to match your ability to spell. ICBC does not sell debt to collection agencies. ICBC has in house debt collectors.
    s shilleto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2012, 01:37 PM
    I was chaged with dui in alberta in 2007 . Is there a statue of limitation?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s shilleto View Post
    i was chaged with dui in alberta in 2007 . is there a statue of limitation?
    No SOL but the fine will accumulate and follow you wherever you go until you pay it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario - debt statute of limitations [ 10 Answers ]

I was recently contacted by a debt collector who told me I owed an Ontario University money. I have not attended that school since 1999 and this was the first corresponence I received regarding this debt. I would like to know if they can take me to court for this, and if not, can they put this...

Statute of Limitations Regarding Credit Card Debt [ 7 Answers ]

I am approximately $20,000 in credit card debt. I lost my job in mid-2002 and entered a debt reduction program March 31, 2003. I paid the fees to the debt reduction company; however, I have been unable to set aside any funds to payoff creditors/collection agencies. The program is setup in the...

Statute of Limitations re: Debt [ 5 Answers ]

Good afternoon, I live in Ontario, Canada, and my question pertains to the Statute of Limitations law on debt collection applicable in this province. On April 15, 2003, I was given a Post-Dated cheque as payment for a debt. The cheque was Post-Dated for April 15, 2004. Approximately six...

Fl Debt Statute of Limitations [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for more information on Florida's Statute of Limitations for debt collection. How long is it really? I have a debt that has not been touched since 1998, so as far as I understand, it should no longer show on my credit report no matter what as of 2002? (I also was not absent from the...

View more questions Search