Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vodooclown Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2005, 03:20 PM
    Installing window's onto 2nd hard drive from a computer already running window's?
    How do I Install window's onto 2nd hard drive from a computer already running window's?

I fixing a computer for a friend and I need to reinstall windows onto his hard drive but that's all I have is the hard drive... I have 2 computers one running xp and one running me what would be the easiest way to install with messing up my system?

Please Replay A.S.A.P.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

May 19, 2005, 08:37 PM
    Howdy:

The easiest way? With the cd.. You aren't going to do it any other way!

BTW, what you are considering is illegal anyway and is tantamount to software piracy which is NOT supported by anyone here!

Murray
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

May 20, 2005, 02:50 AM
    Installing Windows.
    Murray has answered this one really.You have to activate XP after thirty days in order for it to continue working.If you install your copy onto a friends hard drive,even if you give him your serial number,Microsoft will refuse access,due to duplication of codes.Dont even bother with a hack one,I won't tell you how or why,but Microsoft have that route sorted as well.Stay legal at all times.The consequences can be unfortunate.

Nez.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2005, 05:29 AM
    While I agree with Murray and Nez, its not 100% certain that you are trying to load YOUR version of XP on his hard drive. I assume that he already had Windows on his machine. So I will ask the question:

Whose Windows and which version are you trying to install? As indicated you NEED to get his CDs to install his version.

May 20, 2005, 05:37 AM
    He gave me his cd's for the install but it won't recognize his cd every time I boot it up it say's there is a disk error... I wasn't even planning to use my copy of window's to do the install because in this day and age I would proly have the fbi at my door in minutes... so that option is out.. and his disk won't work so I guess I will just tell his he is S.O.L.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

May 20, 2005, 06:20 AM
    The install should be done on his system from the get go.. If you were to use your system to install XP, as soon as you put the hdd back into his system, it would bounce you so fast it would make your head spin as nothing, as far as the motherboard is concerned, would match what Windows was looking for..

Murray
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2005, 01:15 PM
    I would not try installing Windows XP onto a hard drive that is not in a system EXACTLY comparable to the system it will run from. Just asking for trouble.

May 20, 2005, 03:57 PM
    Hey thanks for the help...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Transfer speed from computer to external hard drive [ 44 Answers ]

I just transferred 4GB from a folder on my computer to a USB2 external hard drive and it took 45 minutes! From other transfers, it seems like this is way too long. 1. Is there a "standard" transfer speed that I should expect from a transfer like this? 2. Would doing other things on the...

Computer running very slow [ 2 Answers ]

Ive already run all the major Spyware checkers and found nothing using Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy. Also ran the scan within the latest ZoneAlarm and TrendMicro Anti-Virus. Here is my Hijack log. Computer is only 3 months old 3.0 Ghz. ...

Running 2 hard drives [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a naïve when it comes to setting up computers, recently I acquired a computer with a fried motherboard but the hard drive is fine and I want to run both hard drives in my existing computer, one for the operating system and one for my junk that currently slows down my computer. I have...

View more questions Search