Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Madam Goodwrench Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Loads of rust in hot water faucets
    We have been away from our hse. For long periods over the last several years... only this last trip did we discover LOADS and LOADS of thick rust coming out of all hot water faucets. We totally drained the water heater, flushed it out, refilled and still seem to have a problem though not nearly as bad.

We do have one of those systems (not a an electric circulating pump) - some kind of connecting pipe from top to bottom of heater which assures fast hot water in the master bath - long way from heater - a Bradford White about ten yrs. Old.

About 20 yrs. Ago we replaced old galvanized pipes in most of the hse. With copper. We live in the midwest where water is sooo hard it clangs, so we do have iron in the water supply... any sleuths out there with a diagnosis?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Do you flush your water heater on a regular maintenance schedule? *If not you're letting minerals build up in your heater and unless the heater's flushed the minerals will enter the system. Let me show you how to flush the heater.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water from any faucets [ 1 Answers ]

I am not getting any hot water, actually not getting any water from any of my hot water faucets.

Hot water in cold faucets [ 1 Answers ]

Suddenly I now have hot water coming out of the cold faucet side of my bath and powder rooms. My shower has the kind of diverter that has anti scald and has always worked great. Now if someone flushes the toilet it gets cold. Is the diverter the problem? Brett

Temporary loss of hot water pressure in all faucets [ 1 Answers ]

I actually have two plumbing problems. We moved into a 9 year old home about 1 year ago. In March, we had a water softener installed. The previous owners never installed a softener. I'm not sure if the softener installation has anthing to do with this, but we've been experiencing temporary loss...

Hot water smells of iron or rust [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I wash my hands in hot water or rinse my face, or even shower, the hot water smells of rust or iron. What does this mean?

Low hot water pressure in a couple faucets [ 3 Answers ]

Within the last 48 hours, two faucets suddenly have really poor hot water pressure. The kitchen faucet has low pressure on hot; on cold it is fine. Right around the corner in the half bath, the hot water pressure is great. Upstairs in the bathroom we have a double sink; one of the hot waters...

View more questions Search