Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2005, 10:17 PM
    Toilet tank installation
    I'm putting in a Kohler toilet (2 piece) and don't know how tight to put the tank on. Should I still be able to wobble it around or would that be to loose?

The problem I am having is that if I tighten all of the three bolts the same the tank is not level front to back (the front is lower than the back of the tank). If I slack off the front 2 bolts then there is some movement if I push down on the tank... the toilet base itself is level so I'm not sure what to do. Can I use some spacer washers on the front bolts? Thanks.

Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2005, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytman
    I'm putting in a Kohler toilet (2 piece) and don't know how tight to put the tank on. Should I still be able to wobble it around or would that be to loose?

The problem I am having is that if I tighten all of the three bolts the same the tank is not level front to back (the front is lower than the back of the tank). If I slack off the front 2 bolts then there is some movement if I push down on the tank .....the toilet base itself is level so I'm not sure what to do. Can I use some spacer washers on the front bolts? Thanks.

Tom
    Hey Tom,
    You do not want the tank to set tight on the bowl with no give. You want 1/4 to 3/8" of play and here's why. China is very brittle and will crack and fracture under pressure or force. Most people will lean back a bit while sitting down on the throne. If the tank can't move this places pressure on the area the bolts go through and enough pressure could crack the china causing leaks.
    If the tank could give a little this pressure would be absorbed in part by the sponge rubber "spud washer" between the tank and the bowl. In this case tighter is not better. Since the bolts are still compressing the spud washer, even though there is some "give" to the tank there will be no leaks and the tank will have protection against undue pressure.
    Since I have you right here let me tell you how much your contributions to this site are appreciated. You guys don't get enough thanks or recognition for the work you-all do on this site. So THANKS! Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2005, 07:03 AM
    Thanks for the great information Tom.

I enjoy contributing to this site whenever I can... and always get expert advice when I ask questions.

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Pump/Tank/Toilet Problem? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs bathroom connected to a tank with a pump to move sewage up & out to our septic system. When the toilet is flushed, the water drains slowly, the bowl almost fills completely and the sink & toilet both start to gurgle & bubble. The drain line from the washing machine sink is...

Toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I needed a new toilet tank and I've put it on the bowl. My problem is now when it is flushed, the flapper will not stay open long enough to drain water from bowl. When the lever is pulled, the flapper opens water starts to leave the tank, but then the flapper closes and the tank fills back...

New Toilet Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that the distance from the center of the toilet drain to the back wall needs to be around 12". What are the distance requirements from the center of the drain to side wall (or object)? and to front wall (facing the toilet) or object? I appreciate a response!

Toilet : Air Bubbles in Tank [ 5 Answers ]

Thank you (whoever that may be) in advance for any advice you can offer. I truly appreciate any suggestions you may have in helping me get to the bottom of this. When I flush my toilet, air bubbles enter the tank through the drain hole. I do not see any bubble whatsoever in the bowl, only in the...

Toilet installation [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a code that states there has to be a certain distance from the back of the toilet to the wall? I know from the shower to the toilet it is 15".

View more questions Search