Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pushenoy_1305 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Spouse on L2 visa not working, do I required SSN for Tax filing
    Hi,

I came to US on L1 visa. My wife and daughter are living with me. Both are having L2 visa. My wife is not working. I have question about tax filing. While tax filing which filing status I need to select. Also, I don't have SSN for either. When I start filing online, it ask me SSN of my wife.
    Please advice what should I do. Do I need to get ITIN. If yes, then how should I start the process

Thanks, Prakash
    important Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Inorder to get ITIN; u need to file form W7 along with your W2. You also need to submit notarised copies of your wife's passport.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 07:40 AM
    The W-7s must be filed with the notarized copies of BOTH your wife's and daughter's passports.

Further, these forms must be sent to the Austin, Texas ITIN Center (address in W-7 instructions) along with your tax return. They will NOT be accepted by themselves.
    jonathanann Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 05:52 PM
    But, first you need to get SSN for your wife, as all L-2 holders are eligible for SSN. They will not be issued ITIN.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 09:47 AM
    Then get her a SSN. However, I suspect the SA will say no, in which case you need to apply for the ITIN.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self on H1 and spouse on H4. Filing tax first time [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US on H1B in Oct 2005. This is the first time I will be filing my taxes. I have a SSN no. I am a software engineer working in CT, USA. My spouse is on H4 and joined me in Dec 2005. We don't have any children. From what I have understood after reading other related links...

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

Spouse SSN for Filing Returns [ 1 Answers ]

I was in US from Feb-Jun 2006 on L1 visa. I am married. My wife was staying in India. While filing returns online, spouse SSN is mandatory information. I have following queries: 1. What will be my residency status? 2. How do I file my returns without spouse SSN?

You.S. Citizen Filing with J1 Visa Spouse [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I were married on Dec. 20, 2006. She entered the country in January 2006 on a J1 Visa, and she earned a nominal income working as an Au Pair. We are in the process to changing her status to Permanent Legal Resident, but I'm not sure how we should do our 2006 taxes (file jointly? Claim...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search