Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FroggyJump Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2005, 11:06 AM
    Hot tub superficial cracks
    My husband and I recently bought a home with a hot tub. It seems to work OK, but someone has painted a whitish film onto about a third of the tub. We noticed that this section seems to have tiny superficial cracks in it. I'm guessing it was exposed to too much sunlight. The whitish stuff is starting to break down, and can be scrubbed off, but the cracks seem to attract algae buildup that is hard to scrub out. Is there a way to re-seal this section of the tub with some sort of smooth clear sealant that would hold up to the heat and bromine?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 18, 2005, 01:37 PM
    Ah, adopt a house, and become first name basis with the people at the local hardware store. Likely the gel coat on the tub cracked because it lacked support underneath. Try to reinforce it somehow. If nothing else, run some of the instant foam stuff under it. Sand the present coat off. Leave the area you want to coat with the sand scratches. Nothing will stick to the unsanded tub surface. For a small job, a spray can of the automotive clear coat from the auto store this time may be better than anything your find at the hardware. If it doesn't hold up, or a bigger job, you need Rexthane moisture curing urethane from the Sherwiun Williams store. Only available in a square gallon can. The Minwax stuff from the hardware store doesn't even come close.
    FroggyJump Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2005, 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks, I never would have thought of going to sherwin williams. I would have been running from hot tub supplier to hot tub supplier. I'll go check out the Rexthane moisture curing urethane. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracks in Asphalt [ 3 Answers ]

My driveway was asphalt paved about 15 years ago, and never resealed. It is now starting to crack in places, ant hills coming through, etc. Is it too late to use a sealer now, and do I need to call a company to come and put another layer on, or are there available products to seal old driveways...

Cracks in brick [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and have a concern about some cracks I have seen in our bricks. We have a split foyer home so the top half of the house is siding and the bottom half is brick. I have noticed that several bricks have a small hairline crack down the middle. The crack is only in an individual...

Cracks In Walls [ 5 Answers ]

I been noticing in my drywall long cracks can someone tell me what can that be.

Hairline Cracks in Fiberglass Tub Wall [ 2 Answers ]

My 25 year old 1 piece fiberglass tub shower unit has developed three 2 inch hairline cracks in the shower wall. It does not appear that water is seeping through the cracks. Is there a preferred sealant for ensuring that water does not sweep throgh these cracks? Thanks, Steve

Superficial phlebitis [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me how long this lasts and how serious it is. I have been taling aspirin for four days @ 6 a day and my stomach is getting very upset. Should I keep taking aspirin?

View more questions Search