Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    betgre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Statutes on theft
    Our neighbor's son has worked for a company for 20 years. Recently it was discovered that he had been stealing from the company for about 9 years. She wants to ask how far they can go back in time for restitution purposes. Is there a limitation on how far the employer can go back to set a figure?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 01:19 PM
    When was the last time he stole? Also where are you located? Did he take a bit every day. I think a crafty lawyer might be able to get this considered as one crime.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Hello bet:

If the employer can coerce him into paying without legal intervention, he can go back as far as he wants. The statutes of limitations don't apply to him.

If you're talking about criminal prosecution, and that's where "restitution" happens, then he may be liable for ALL the money he stole no matter when he stole it, as long as he's reported within the statutory period. That depends on your state, but in general it'll be around 3 years.

If you're talking about civil prosecution where judgments (not the same as restitution) are rendered, it too depends on your state, and that is also generally 3 years. I think he'll be liable for it all here too, assuming the case is filed on time.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft [ 11 Answers ]

I did the biggest mistake ever and got caught stealing when I got caught they checked to see if there was any previous records before and I didn't have any and the item was under 100 so they didn't call the cops but they took down all my information like id social and they said that I'm going to...

Theft Under [ 3 Answers ]

I was charged with theft under about 3 years ago and I just found out about the charge when I did a criminal record check what is going to happen, I am innocent.

Statutes of limitation [ 7 Answers ]

Just wondering, I live in ontario, and recently after close to a decade a financial institution has sent a collection agency after me for a debt I paid a close to a decade ago. Its not for a lot of money, but I feel I should not pay anything. Now the collection has a law firm after me saying they...

Virginia L-T Statutes [ 4 Answers ]

:p VA residential tenants "may" have a lease relationship under the VRLTA - Virginia Residential Landlord Tenant Act - DEPENDING on the # of and type of residential rental units the property owner may own. If the rented residence is a SFR - single family residence - it is doubtful the VRLTA is...

View more questions Search