Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherryjhn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2005, 04:04 AM
    Is obesity a genetic factors?
    I want to ask if obesity a genetic factor? My sister has been overweight almost all of her life, and now her sixteen year old daughter is facing this too. Though she has just started putting on weight during her summer vacations, but now we all are worried. I have heard of Diet Pills which help to lose weight. But if obesity is genetically caused, then will diet pills or other weight loss programs have any effect. According to a news published way back in August 2001, genes do play a vital role. Moreover I got some good information regarding weight loss. There are different weight loss programs available in the market, all have its own pros and cons. But about what I am worried is that will all these programs overcome the influence of genetic factors.
    sheema_1 Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Sep 9, 2005, 02:45 AM
    Hey
    Hey I have the same problem my hole family is big and since I had my son I have gained a lot of weight so I was just woundering when someone gives you a answer if its genetic or not could you buzz me the answer please.
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Sep 9, 2005, 03:50 AM
    Yes it is
    Sad to say, Obesity is very genetically related. When you have parents who are big, there is a big chance you will be too. I have friends who have thin parents & they eat like crazy while a few fries goes straight to my hips!
    sheema_1 Posts: 70, Reputation: 3

Sep 9, 2005, 03:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for that so does that mean give up on being skinner or just keep up the exercise all the time and keep trying to lose the weight.
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Sep 9, 2005, 04:09 AM
    Just eat right & exercise. But why do you want to be skinny? Tell you what, the good thing about having a big family & you are exercising to shed those pounds is that you will not be skinny but VOLUPTEOUS. I mean major curves in all the right places. Compare a very skinny girl & a "just right" one in a skimpy bikini. Who do you think will turn heads? I think not the very skinny one would. As a good male friend once told me,"skinny is best with their clothes on". Fat is not all that bad. Its has cosmetic & insulator purposes as well. So aim to be the right weight for you.Goodluck!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2005, 02:54 AM
    Overweight
    Hi,
    Yes, it has to do with genes.
    And NO, you can lose weight, regardless, just depends on how much.
    One of the best programs out there is Weight Watchers.
    It depends on how much you really want it.
    Also, the calorie intact should be around 2000 calories per day; 24 hours.
    That is the max calorie intact a person, on the average, should have to maintain weight and be healthy.
    Get a cheap "calorie counter" paperback book. Add up all the calories you are eating and drinking in a 24 hours period. Bet it's a whole lot more than 2000!
    Most people who are overweight take in about 4 to 5000 calories a day! The body cannot burn off the excess calories over 2000, therefore, they keep gaining weight.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    tatrecia Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 10:40 PM
    Yes, even though this is something that is past on through the parents you should not let that get you down. Diet pills I think is not good for you but walking and things like that will help a lot. You can get some hand weights for when you sitting different things like that will help. Also watch what you eat that is a big factor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Genetic [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to thank J_9 for her useful information on Artificial insemination cause I looked every where but couldn`t find a simple definition along with a few advantages and disadvantages of the procedure. I would lkie to know the difference between monohybrid and dihybrid crossing in...

Genetic Research [ 8 Answers ]

I am a student pursuing a Masters Degree. For my Thesis I was thinking of doing research on the correlation of specific eye colors and genetic disorders or immunological disorders. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Genetic diversity [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a question concerning the balance of genetic material in several pregnancies.My wife and I have 3 daughters,13,11,9. The 13 year old is all me,the 11 year old is a fifty fifty mix and the 9 year old is all my wife's. My question is ,is this normal,and if it is if we have another child is...

Possession by deceased in-law - or just genetic predisposition? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question and would like your opinion: My husband (whom I'll call Bob), to whom I'll be married 22 years in July, is making me crazy. You see, when we first got together, he was the exact opposite of his mother (whom I'll call Terry - and who passed away in 1989 due to complications of...

View more questions Search