Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Calling all Military Spouses
    Hi - I was just thinking (mistake # 1 I know) If there are any military spouses out there.
    Was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving the rest of us some insight. Maybe answer some questions.

1) How do you do it? When your other half is away. How hard is it actually. From the emotional sadness to the difficulty in running the home all on your own?

2) What is it actually like to hear that once again your other half is being moved or being deployed?

I hope I am not stirring up emotions or difficulties and making things worse. I ask these questions, because I myself am so amazed at what all of you do.

I am hoping maybe some insight to the rest of us can maybe give some perspective of the amount of sacrifice that is involved. Not just during war time but anytime in the military, but of course, war time especially.

I also hope that maybe you have a place to come to and write down some of your thoughts and feelings, maybe ease your stress just a little.

Thank you for your time. Believe me your insight I think would be priceless to those of us
    That never walked in your shoes.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 12:16 PM
    I am now a Navy Wife (Ret.) - my hubby served for 20 years and got out last year. He is 39 years old and drawing a pension. Sweet!

How do you do it? You just do. No matter how hard it was for me to be here with the kids alone, I always realized how hard it was for him. His quarters consisted of a rack with a crappy foam mattress inside a berthing that he shared with 40 other men which he described smelling of F & A (feet and a$$). The inside of the ship would "rain" with condensation and the showers that give a 5 second burst of cold water to wash with. While he was at one command he had to work shifts of 6 on/6 off while they were underway because there were only a couple of guys qualified to do what he did.

We pretty much knew when he was getting underway, unlike the Army which has less notice especially now in war time. The weeks leading up to the deployment always get stressful and you pick fights for no reason and tear up easily (on my part). It is a part of getting ready to separate, I believe. As bad as being apart is, there is nothing like a Navy homecoming with all the sailors manning the rails. I still get all misty whenever the news shows a ship coming in and my man hasn't been attached to a ship in years.

A person considering marrying a service member really needs to give it a lot of thought. If there is a hurricane, guess what - they aren't going to be there to help you at the house - they are going with the ship to move it out of harms way; they may not be there for the birth of your child(ren); they WILL miss each holiday and anniversary and birthday at some point. If you are a needy person that can't order pizza by yourself - then marrying a active duty or reservist is not for you!

I haven't had the opportunity to use my blinkies in a while, thanks for thread!

Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    I am now a Navy Wife (Ret.) - my hubby served for 20 years and got out last year. He is 39 years old and drawing a pension. Sweet!

We pretty much knew when he was getting underway, unlike the Army which has less notice especially now in war time. The weeks leading up to the deployment always get stressful and you pick fights for no reason and tear up easily (on my part). It is a part of getting ready to seperate, I believe. As bad as being apart is, there is nothing like a Navy homecoming with all the sailors manning the rails. I still get all misty whenever the news shows a ship coming in and my man hasn't been attached to a ship in years.

Em,

First, thank you so much for taking the time to give us insight to one of the most incredibly giving ways of life.

There is nothing more beautiful or touching than seeing a ship pulling in. The tears just stream and the pride just beams!

Thank you Thank you Thank you

I can not even imagine what it would be like to see my hubby sailing away knowing it would be for at least 6 months. Bless you and your family for that incredible sacrifice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking spouses name of mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

Spouse received monetary equity for property when divorced. Spouse sign quit claim deed to property. Mortgage is in both names. Since the divorced property has been converted to a rental property. Talked with mortgage company and will not take spouse off mortgage. What, or is there anything I...

Garnishing Spouses Wages [ 2 Answers ]

My sister has an old debt from 3yrs ago. She is now married and the debt collector has told her they are going to garnish her and her new husbands wages. Can they garnish his wages for her old debt? Debt is a credit card and her husbands name was NEVER added on. Thanks! Nashville, TN

Workplace Spouses [ 2 Answers ]

I am a journalist working on a story about the phenomenon of "workplace spouses" a reference to the intense personal and empotional bonds--not sexual--that can form between mena and women who work very closely together for very long hours. I have been told by HR experts that these relationships can...

View more questions Search