Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 06:59 AM
    I am thinking of sending Purina and Iams a letter thanking them for continuing to supply safe chows at a reasonable price. None, none of the high volume, major brand dry chows have had a problem. Much of what was recalled, was only removed to give time to verify it was safe. As far as class action lawsuits go, I think they are a bunch of the stuff that comes out the other end of the dog. The Lawyers get rich, and the consumers get nothing except higher prices. Have any of you ever gotten anything out of a class action lawsuit? Our whole tort system is out of control and a major drag on our economy a long with burdensome regulations that do more to provide job security for bureaucrats than protect consumers.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Oh, I agree labman. Lawyers are the only ones who get rich off stuff like this.
    But, I do believe that with the additional problems found in human foods now, there will be a reevaluation and adjustment of the industry standards.
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    I believe the class action lawsuit will be the pivotal, and ultimately deciding factor, in getting the changes that we need across the board.
    The main problem with a lawsuit is that the companies will come off cheap. What is the value of the typical dog or cat in dollars? Not very much. Even if they averaged it out to $1000.00 per pet (which I highly doubt it will be that high) your only talking about $850,000.00 for the dogs. So it cost these companies so little that it will still be worth the risk to continue business as usual. I have higher hopes for the FDA getting more inspectors, especially since so much of our food is now being imported. The better solution is for consumers to write and let the company know you have decided to quit using their product until they announce that all of their ingredients will be tested for quality. Frankly if these companies have half a brian that is going to happen on its own. I expect to see them start announcing in their commercials "We test our ingredients to insure quality" or something to that effect. :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Okay Mr. Pippin. I hear you.
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Have any of you ever gotten anything out of a class action lawsuit?
    Actually I did. It was about 1984 or 1985. I came home and found a letter from State Farm Insurance in the mail box which stated they owed me $756.00 (or something like that) because of a settlement in a class action lawsuit that had been filed against them. It had to do with the way their policy was written and quite frankly I figured I had already been paid for my accident. I called my State Farm agent and told him I didn't really want the settlement and that I had never signed any lawsuit. But he told me that the money was mine and so I used it to prepay my premiums. Note that I had already been paid a fair settlement on my claim by the another insurance company (the at fault drivers), but because of the way the policy was worded some attorney said it meant State Farm owed me as well. I am sure that the attorneys were the ones who made a profit on this suit.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Mr P, it sounds as if you were recompensed not for the accident but for an overcharge of premiums paid. You don't have to sign papers on a class action suit. You were on their client list for the time in question and were entitled to whatever money that comes from a class action.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 03:49 PM
    This post ran off topic and died quick
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Seven pages quick?
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 06:12 PM
    So, just bring it back to topic if there is something you want to add paws.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:31 PM
    A discussion of lawyers and class action suits belongs in Members' discussions, but so far it is not obscuring the OP's original question.
    -

Jun 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Sorry I was just answering Laman's Question. I didn't mean to ge off topic. Again I just ask everyone to keep in mind that the commercial dog food companies failed to test the ingredients and as a result thousands of pets died. I only ask that you write the company whose food you use (Their address or phone number should be on the can or bag) and let them know you expect more from them if they are to keep your business. You can find your congressmen at Write Your Representative - Contact your Congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives. where all you need to do is enter your zip code. It does require a nine digit zip code. Write to them and ask them to fund additional inspectors for the food imported into this country. Your Senators can be found at U.S. Senate where you only need to know what state you are from. Write them and I promise they will respond back to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

My chow [ 13 Answers ]

My mixed chow is about 3yrs old. And all he does is knaw at his skin. I mean its like he is trying to eat away at himself, chewing off hair and everything. Please someone give me a solution or at least an idea of what to do. I cannot take him to the vet right now because I do not have the...

Adult dog and puppy chow [ 1 Answers ]

Hi--I mistakenly bought the wrong kind of dog food for our 5 year old Brittany--I got her normal type, Eukanuba Lamb and Rice, but accidentally bought the puppy version of it. Will eating it be a problem for her? Should I buy new food, or let her eat this and buy new food next time? Thanks!

My chow won't eat [ 6 Answers ]

My 11 year old Chow won't eat. I noticed today that she was staggering and bumping into things. She hasn't eaten anything at all in seven days and I'm really worried about her. Can you help me please? Thanks

Dog Chow Chow dermatology [ 1 Answers ]

My female Chow Chow dog is 9 years old has since two months developed white spots on her nose, gums and tongue. These spots are white and pink and of various size (very small to the size of 1 cent). It's not leptospiroza. What else could it be and what could be the treatment? Please help!

View more questions Search