Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dbuck Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Curling shingles
    My roof is 13 years old with 25 year asphalt shingles. The shingles are curling and cupping on the eaves on the north side of the roof. Do I need to replace the roof? What caused just this area to curl? Too much heat in the roof internally? The eaves are vented but the roof peak is not. This is a cathederal type ceiling so there is very little attice space and of course an attic fan is not an option. The curl is present both on the north eave of the home and the north edge of the attached garage. There is not a lot of pitch to the roof, I would guess it is about a 12/3. this is a manufactured home built in 1971.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 31, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Heat Is A Big Factor There, It Does Make A Difference To Have Your Ridge Vents Installed, Every Roof We Do We Add Them In.
    Its Nothing More Than Cutting A 2" Rip Of Both Sides Of The Ridge And Installing The Ridge Vent.
    Id Advise To Have That Done As For The Shingles Right Now Id Plan To Reroof With Some 25 Yr Shingles, The Architecual Shingles Hold Up Much Better But Cost A Little More.
    As For The Slope It Shouldnt Be Less Than A 4/12 For Code, At Least Its Code Here In Nc.

You Said Your Eaves Were Vented, Are Then Vynial Sofet Or 3/8 Wood With A 2" Vent Strip In Them?
    Dbuck Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 06:57 AM
    They are 3/8 wood with 2 inch vent strip. I guess the problem is that there is no peak vent and the shingles are a dark brown so they will draw and hold more heat. The building code most likely did not exist here in 1971 and I'm sure there was no inspection done. Am planning on having vinyl siding, new fascia and soffett installed this year but really did not want to tackle the roof issue for a couple more years. If push comes to shove I may jhust have to do the roof myself and enlist help from the relatives.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Cathederal ceilings frequently have no attic at all so they get much hotter. Have someone check your pitch and compare to the shingle manufacturers spec. Maybe your roof is too flat for this shingle, if not there may be some warranty money coming to you. Curled shingles is like death and taxes. Its coming and signals the end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shingles [ 4 Answers ]

Can you get shingles in the genital area?

Shingles [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been miserable for 3 weeks. For 5 days I had unbearable pain and thought I had the flu. I took a lot of ibuprophen for the pain and slept for 3 days pretty much non stop. Then I went to work for two days and a small rash appeared on my back. I thought it was wearing a new pair of...

Shingles in genitals [ 1 Answers ]

I'm girl in high school and I had had shingles a couple years back on my back and chest, but about 9 months ago I started experienceing the same type of pains in my genital area and small bump appears around my libium minora. Mith time the pains got less severe and now they only seem to itch...

Shingles [ 4 Answers ]

My concern is the shingle virus in a swimming pool would the virus be in the water if someone went in with a blister and if so how long would it remain in the water? Thanks

Curling [ 1 Answers ]

What are the rules and how are the points deceided for the Olympic game of "curling"?

View more questions Search