Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marthageta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Do F1-visa student pay social security and Medicare Taxes?
    I am F1-visa student. Currently I am working using CPT program. I leave in US for two years. And I am working the same company for two years. Starting from January, 2007 they ask me if I am a citizen for tax purpose and have to pay social security and Medicare taxes. They also sent this link to me. Even though I leave more than 150 days in USA, Am I considering as citizen for tax purpose??

Link to Publication 519: IRS.gov Search Results

Please use the PDF format to view this file.

Thank you for your help
    Martha
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Martha:

If your total visa time for F-1 and J-1 exceeds five years, then you are considered a resident alien and are subject to ALL the taxes that U.S. citizens pay.

When did your F-1 visa start?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F 1 Student - Social Security and Medicare Exemption [ 1 Answers ]

My OPT will be affective as of Jun 07 to Jun 08, is it possible to ask the company that I will be working for not to deduct social security and medicare from my pay to avoid filing for a refund around tax time? If Yes, is there a website that I can find that states that because my company may...

How to file a claim for a medicare and social security refund for an f1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to file a refund for a f1 student for medicare and social security. I keep on finding plenty of info for how the f1 students to file, but how does the employer do it? Thanks

Social security and Medicare taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All... Until 2006 Dec I was a Full time student and my employer deducted social security and medicare taxes while I was working as an intern. Is there any way that I can get back that tax amount? Thanks Mahi vanka.

Social Security + Medicare. Didn't pay ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is in regards to your response on this thread. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/s...are-21999.html I have a couple of questions if anyone can help... My employer doesn't deduct my Social Security since I was on H1B (oct 2005). I think he is not aware of the fact that I am also...

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am [ 2 Answers ]

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am from China. My H-1 may be approved for starting this Oct.

View more questions Search