Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nathan281 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Toilet won't stop making water noise
    My toilet has a tendency after it is flushed to keep cycling water--not in the basin--but up top in the thing there. So it never quits making that noise. Once in a while if I flush it "right" it works. I'm sure its easily fixable but can someone tell me what's wrong.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 31, 2007, 08:46 AM
    The diaphragm in the ballcock is not closing. First make sure that the ball is adjusted to fill the tank about 1" below the overflow tub. If that is OK and it still leaks water into the tank then repair or replace the ballcock. Shut off the water and remove the three screws on the top of the ballcock. You may find dbris on the diaphragm or just flip it over. A new ballcock can be less than $10.
    Nathan281 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    The diaphragm in the ballcock is not closing. First make sure that the ball is adjusted to fill the tank about 1" below the overflow tub. If that is OK and it still leaks water into the tank then repair or replace the ballcock. Shut off the water and remove the three screws on the top of the ballcock. You may find dbris on the diaphragm or just flip it over. A new ballcock can be less than $10.

I think the problem is the water is rising too high cause its right at the lip of the overflow tube and that even when its not making the noise. How do I adjust the ball to lower the water level.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 31, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Follow the rod from the ball back to the ballcock. There should be single adjustment screw. Tighten the screw one full turn and flush the toilet. See how high the water level goes before shutting off, aim for one inch below overfill tube. Readjust until you get that one inch. If there is no screw and the rod is brass you can give it a slight bend down at the ball end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric water heater won't stop running [ 2 Answers ]

My electric water heater won't stop running the thermostats are on the lowest setting what could the problems be. Id appreciate any help.

Toilet making banging noise [ 5 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet the supply line makes a banging noise. I thought hammer happens when you turn the flow off. I tried to drain the pipes to empty the air chambers but no luck. The house is about 15 years old with copper plumbing. Thanks for any help.

Water pipes vibrating and making a noise when the toilet system refills [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet refills you can hear the pipes vibrate and make a noise. I've turned our stop cock to off and then turned it back on slightly and this rectifies the problem but the water then just trickles out. I think it's an air block but I don't know how to check the toilet. All the tapes are...

Noise when flushing toilet and when running water [ 1 Answers ]

I have humming noise (seems to be getting louder) when I flush the toilet and when I run water into the bath and into the kitchen sink. I read a reply to a similar problem about looking at the regulator.. What is a regulator? Many thanks!

Stop making life so hard [ 11 Answers ]

You only have one really important thing to decide Jesus , yes or no. Why worry? In this life there are only two things to worry about. Either you will be rich or poor. If you are rich, there is nothing to worry about.

View more questions Search