Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcoyle Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 31, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Hip pain
    The past 2 nights, I have woken up with major hip pain in my left hip (the side I sleep on). It feels almost like it's out of it's joint or something. Is this normal? Oh, I'm 8 months along, and my baby has recently dropped, if that helps at all. I see my doctor on Monday, but when ever I tell him that something's not right (like how I keep having extremely painful contractions multiple times a day), he always just says "You're fine, you just worry too much." I already feel like I almost have to trip him as he walks out of the room to ask him a question when I go to my visits. He's a good doctor, I just wish he could be a bit more sensative to a first time mom.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 08:33 AM
    I think he is trying to downplay so you won't worry and sweat the little things, especially when you have 'the big thing' coming along ! Soooooooooooo many things going on with your body lately, kcoyle, your baby is taking over.

The hip problem, now that's an easy one and it's a wonder you haven't thought of why yet. There is so much resting on that hip when you lay on it, probably why there is pain, but I hope it goes away after you start moving around in the morning.

Have a great (almost) pain free delivery and a lovely baby to cherish!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Sounds like he is laying on your sciatic nerve. It causes hip pain and you may notice tingling numbness in your leg after a while. It Happens often. I was numb in my leg for almost a month straight from my little monster.
    kcoyle Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 31, 2007, 08:44 AM
    I knew that it had to do with the weight of the baby, but I just didn't know that the pain could last for hours before going away. Thank you for your replies!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Just depends on how long he's comfy in that position... your comfort doesn't matter to him right now... lol...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I had horrible sciatic hip pain with my first child, but not the second. Doctor said it was all the way the weight was getting distributed on the inside.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Also there is the whole " round ligament pain" issue. Your hips are doing a lot of spreading at this point in time, preparing for childbirth. In subsequent pregnancies, it will likely start earlier(I started having the hip pains at 6 months this time around with baby number 2) laying on your sides(the only way you CAN lay when pregnant) only exacerbates the situation. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it. I would have to wake up about every hour and change which side I was laying on because my hips would hurt so badly. I have heard that taking pregnancy yoga helps with the typical pregnancy pains like this, but I couldn't say for sure, as I have never tried it. As far as the sciatic nerve pain goes, laying on the opposite side of the pain will help most with this as well, and unfortunately, not much you can do about that either. Its all just about the position your baby is in. moving around might help him or her decide to change positions, but usually they are stubborn and won't move until they are good and ready. Hah. I know what you mean about having hard time getting your doctor to stick around long enough to answer your questions. The doctor practices I went to for both of my pregnancys(different states entirely) had multiple doctors in it that you would see, each time you went for an appointment. It was interesting to see how each doctor reacted differently with their patients. Some would sit and talk to you for as long as you wanted, and others would rush in and out so fast you were left with your head spinning. I found that when I would see that fast doctors, It worked best if the moment they walked in the room and asked how you were, you immediately say " I have a "3" (the actual number of how many questions/concerns you have) concerns that I would like to discuss with you" this way they can't really get out of the room until they have answered your certain concerns. You can be asking while they are examining, and can't escape, and you can usually get all your questions answered. If you are fast enough ;0) as moms, esp first time moms, we tend to be anxious about every little thing that occurs. But this is perfectly normal, as every pregnancy is different. Even if its not the first time, this pregnancy might be completely different then the last ones. So its never wrong of you to ask any time you have concerns. Many practices also have nurses on hand that can answer your questions over the phone, and tell you whether its something to be concerned about, or to come in about. If nothing else, if you are really concerned, you can call the labor and delivery department of the hospital and ask them there. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hip Pain [ 3 Answers ]

I have been experiencing mild internal pain on right side around hip. My family Doc has done blood and other prelim tests including ultrasound and found nothing alarming. After 2 months it seems it is showing up again with constant pain increasing while coughing, changing position etc. Want to...

Pain in right side of back,hip [ 8 Answers ]

I have been experiencing a dull pain in my right side for the last two days, and it doesn't go away, even when I lay down... could this be a sign of appendicitis? I am getting an MRI done tomorrow for my lower and middle lumbar... will this detect that if that is what it is? Any answers?

Hip Pain [ 9 Answers ]

:mad: I have hip pain and walk with a cane.My MD tells me I will need a operation. He told me to lose 50 pounds and have the operation next year. My problem is the pain medication no longer works.He tells me if he gives me anything stronger I would be addicted to drugs. I hope I can find can a...

Pain in Right Hip [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there I am new to this site and I am looking for help. I am currently experiencing pain in my right, and pins and needles. I am also experiencing sensations in my arms and legs. Thank you for any help provided. Kind regards Kim

View more questions Search