Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DCoop Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 11:40 PM
    Breaking Lease on Rental Home Ref Handicap Issue
    My Mother has been in a wheelchair for 4 years. We signed a contract to rent a house starting October 15th of 2006. We negotiated an addendum to the lease contract where the landlord agreed to install entry & exit ramps for my Mother's motorized wheelchair. We were not in the same town as the landlord so, this was done over a fax. We have our copy of the addendum sent from their fax with our signatures. We have several witnesses to their verbal promises to install the ramps prior to our moving in. The ramps were not installed, my mother ended up falling & breaking her shoulder inside the home a few days after moving in because she was trying to walk because her chair is too heavy to lift & get into the residence. We have spoken with the landlord several times about the ramps & he continues to say he has the materials but is trying to schedule a contractor & he also states that there was no date on the addendum as to time of completion. My Mom is now scheduled to have her leg amputated on June 14th. We decided to enter into a new lease as of June 1st with a Landlord who has already installed ramps & changed the flooring to meet my mother's needs. I've decided to pay Junes rent to the landlord failing to install the ramps & provide him a months notice that we will be out prior to July 1st. What else should we do to keep this Landlord from attempting to sue us or report us to credit agencies? Can we get our security deposit back? Is their failure to install ramps a breach of contract even though there is no date? It's been 7 months on a 12 month lease & we will pay the 8th month?
    paganheart71 Posts: 27, Reputation: 4

May 31, 2007, 12:26 PM
    If there was nothing in the contract about the ramp. Than I don't believe he has to give back the deposit. The best thing for you to do is talk to a lawyer about this. They should be able answer all you questions
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Hello DC:

You've got two strikes against you. 1) The contract makes no mention of the addendum. 2) She moved in. Number #2 is the most damaging, of course. IF it was so important, the court will presume she wouldn't have moved in.

He is required, however, to rent it as soon as possible to mitigate your damages. In other words, he can't just sit there and collect rent. Yes, if you didn't damage the house, you'll get all the secutiry deposit back.

The above, of course, happens in a perfect world. We don't live in one of those. Assuming you gave him notice and he knows she's gone, when you send the next check, ask him to supply you with proof that he's attempting to rent it again, or you won't send any more rent, and you'll sue him in small claims court. Send the letter certified, return receipt requested.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking Rental house lease due to state job relocation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering If I can break my lease in Texas because I just got a job in another city in Texas working for the state as a corrections officer? My lease doesn't end for 5 more months and I have to move in about a month. My landlord told me I couldn't get out of the lease one time before...

Breaking rental lease for medical reasons in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was recently diagnosed with cancer and wants to be near his family in Key West, Fl. Our landlord in St. Petersburg said we will loose our security and have to pay our rent until the lease is over in July if we give 30 days notice. This is stated in the lease, however isn't there anyway...

Breaking a rental lease [ 4 Answers ]

My partner and I relocated to Florida two months ago for him to take a new job. When we arrived the job never took place. We both have not been able to find work in Florida and in the meantime his old boss offered him his job back. He accepted because he couldn't find work here in Florida. We...

Breaking rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and her boyfriend signed a 1 year lease in August they have since become pregnant the house is very small 1 bedroom no room at all for a baby and all of the items needed to care for one not even room in this apartment for a kitchen table let alone a crib for baby or any other...

Breaking my rental lease [ 3 Answers ]

I am breaking my rental lease because I can't afford the rent and my landlord does not want to what can I do

View more questions Search