Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Geoho Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Defrost control board
    Last winter the heat wasn’t keeping up with the set temp, the outside fan came on, but the compressor would not start, you could hear it trying to start but it wouldn’t come on. The tech said the compressor was short cycling, and it was now "locked up", they put in a new compressor (part was cov’d as unit only 5 yrs old, but labor wasn’t) and a new capacitor and that did the trick.

This spring, put on the a/c, and it wasn't getting cool, went outside and this time the fan wasn't on. Did a troubleshoot with tech over the phone, had the cover off the outside unit, checked a few things as he instructed, and when I pushed the cover back on, it kicked the fan on, tech said probably a loose connection somewhere and they would have to come out. They came out and found a loose terminal on Y1, of the defrost control board and said that was causing the compressor to cycle on and off rapidly, at this time the fan was working and the house was cooling, but eventually the board would fail altogether. We did not want the compressor to be affected by this, so we told them to replace the defrost board.

I am new to heat pumps with central air. Were these 2 problems related? I ask because each time they said compressor short cycling. I just want to make sure the problem is fixed for good. Don’t want the compressor to fail again.

There was a preventative maintenance & cleaning done as well, and they said everything else was working fine.
    Doc Harrison Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jun 7, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Yes the two problems were likely related, but not to worry, although you took the long road, both parts were replaced and the unit should be reliable. I would like to look at the compressor contactor (the switch that turns the compressor on and off). If the unit indeed short cycled, that switch may fail prematurely. I am sure, however this was checked with the preventive maintenance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Furnace Control Board? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58PAV that intermittently aborts or sometimes clicks on and off at the draft blower stage. I found out I can move the control board (HK42FZ007) when the blower motor clicks off, and it clicks and comes right back on. If I hold it just right, the furnace starts and if I manage to...

50A50-110 Control Board [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 ComfortMaker, forced air, NG, 80% efficient, furnace with a 50A50-110 control board. The original board was replaced in year 3 under warranty. I am now having regular problems with the furnace going out. The trouble light on the control board blinks from one to six at varying times...

Furnace control board [ 2 Answers ]

Can the board be repaired or do I need to replace it

Wiring question for new blower control board [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought the Lennox blower control board replacement kit - 31M73 I'm stuck on wiring the transformer--- The five wires coming out of the transformer going to the old board are - Yellow - common Blue - 24 vac Orange-L2 XFMER Primary Black - L1 XFMER Primary Red - PARK

Powering the G terminal on my furnace control board [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! My furnace's control board recently blew and the repair guy replaced it with a different kind. Aparently the new board requires a wire from the thermostat to the G terminal to work the A/C fan, and the old one didn't. The repair guy would need to make another trip for this repair. I am...

View more questions Search