Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spicoli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Matching breakers with box brand?
    I have a GE box and Cutler-Hammer breakers, the electrical has been set up this way since I moved in 4 years ago. I have never had a problem with the electrical in my house, but we have an inspector telling us that this is a fire safety issue and should be addressed. Is this smoke and mirrors or is my house going to burn down?

Thanks
    nNova Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli
    I have a GE box and Cutler-Hammer breakers, the electrical has been set up this way since I moved in 4 years ago. I have never had a problem with the electrical in my house, but we have an inspector telling us that this is a fire safety issue and should be addressed. Is this smoke and mirrors or is my house going to burn down?

Thanks
    I don't think you house will burn down if it has been that way and worked until now. Call the local electrical distributor. The store in your area that sales to the electricians and they sell to public as well. Some circuit breakers do not fit well in other load centers. Just tell them u have a GE loadcenter and cutler hammer breakers. If the breaker fits in and the blades line up and it is snug it should be fine.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 02:40 AM
    Brands of breakers and panels can only be mixed if the breaker is UL listed to be in another panel. Square D for example makes their HomeLine breaker, looks like a GE breaker, and it is listed to be in a GE panel.

If a breaker is not listed to be in another panel, that means that UL or some other testing agency has not tested the breaker's operation in another panel, therefore may be a fire hazard. If there is a fire, and the insurance company finds a product not being used properly, there will be problems collecting a claim.

I am not aware of Cutler Hammer breakers being listed to be installed in a GE panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of converting fuse box to circuit breakers [ 18 Answers ]

I have a 100 amp electrical service using a fuse box to which a small circuit breaker panel was added (see photo). I would like to convert the whole service to a 150 amp circuit breaker panel. I live in Rochester, Minnesota. What is your estimate of the cost of this conversion?

Zodiac matching [ 63 Answers ]

Just a topic off the serious matters for a change ;-) I was never really into zodiac stuff until about 5 years ago when I met an indian friend who told me that in India most marriages are arranged by matching signs, like water and water, fire and fire etc. Back then I was seeing an Aries and...

Breaker Box Amps rating & Number of breakers installed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question in regards to amps allowed in a breaker box. My breaker box has a label stating that the box has a maximum load of 200 amps, but that it is convertible. I really don't know what the convertible part means. If I look at the breakers installed, these add way more than 200 amps. ...

Adding Breakers to Existing Box [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing a basement in a large 8 year old home. We've added about 1500 sq feet in the basement and 5-6 new circuits. The breaker box, and a sub panel are full, with several mini breakers. We've been told that as part of the final electrical inspection a "load analysis" will be done....

Matching A/C units [ 7 Answers ]

Do I have to match the outside unite with the inside unite? I have a Rudd sys. Right now the heat pump outside is gone out. Do I have to replace with the same brand or can I go with an other brand? I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth Tx. Do I need to go back with Heat pump or can I just go back with a a/c...

View more questions Search