Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonjons1girl Posts: 85, Reputation: 7

May 30, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Guy Massage Therapist. Need pole if you would go to one!
    Hi my husband is a Massage Therapist, and we would like to know how many of you would go to a guy Massage Therapist comfortably? We are trying to start our own company and would like to know how the public feels about this and what they would do. Please answer for us.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 01:37 PM
    I'm a guy and I wouldn't, sorry, just... no.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 03:22 PM
    I would. Makes no difference to me.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 03:26 PM
    This is ironic as my girlfriend just bought her boyfriend a gift certificate for a massage and he was adamant that he would not go to a guy?

I asked hubby and he said - no way would he go to a guy.

My male boss said he didn't care either way.

So, say go for it. Maybe you could learn as well as do the guys that won't go to your hubby?

Go for it and follow your dreams. There will always be an overworked guy with a wonderful girlfriend or wife who will buy them a massage. :)

Wish you both the best of luck.
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 30, 2007, 03:35 PM
    I am a female and I would actually prefer to go to a female massage therapist. I might try a male but I don't know if I could trust his hands on me. I guess it depends!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 08:19 PM
    There are two levels of massage, there are the low life hookers that perform sexual funtions,

Then there are real massages, on a real massage, it does not matter the sex of the person giving it, they are forms of treatment basically for stress and muscle soreness.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 3, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjons1girl
    Hi my husband is a Massage Therapist, and we would like to know how many of you would go to a guy Massage Therapist comfortably? We are trying to start our own company and would like to know how the public feels about this and what they would do. Please answer for us.
    I am a man. I personally would feel uncomfortable having another man massage me. With homosexuality as open and rampant as it is, I would be concerned that a man of that persuasion might pass on some sort of communicable disease or something. On the other hand, I used to go to a very good chiropractor who had several female massage therapist employees. I would always get a massage before he would adjust my back. On a couple of occasions, he would have to give me a massage if he was shorthanded or something like that. He was a body builder and he was dating one of his therapists and I knew that he was straight. Because of his muscle mass, he was able to get to the deeper muscles in my back which the female therapists could not reach (I was a body builder at that time too). Conclusion, if I knew the guy and felt comfortable that he was straight then I might not have much of a problem with it although I still prefer a female to massage me.
    honey2700 Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Jun 3, 2007, 09:48 AM
    My god how immature can people get. It doesn't matter people! If your afraid of the same sex touching you it sounds like your gay and you don't want people to find out. It's a massage not sex. Calm down.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 10:02 AM
    The Massage Therapist at our work location is a man. We all go. Women and men. So it does not make a difference.

Joe

Jun 3, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by honey2700
    My god how immature can people get. It doesnt matter people! if your afraid of the same sex touching you it sounds like your gay and you dont want people to find out. Its a massage not sex. Calm down.
    So you wouldn't mind if a convicted sex offender massaged you. After all, it's just a massage, right? Also, you kind of have it backwards, if I were gay, I would want someone of the same sex touching me but I said that I preferred that a man not massage me. Just thought I would straighten that out for you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 02:00 PM
    A massage therapist who is operating legally will be licensed to do so. People who have committed certain types of crimes are prevented from obtaining licences to operate or work in certain professions, especially those that have to do with the physical care or maintenance of people.

A licensed massage therapist in order to maintain his or her license is bound to follow the constraints of the law governing the granting of that license.

When I go to a massage therapist, I don't care if it's a man or woman, just so long as he or she does a great job and is also a licensed professional who is permitted to perform that kind of work.

Jun 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    When I go to a massage therapist, I don't care if it's a man or woman, just so long as he or she does a great job and is also a licensed professional who is permitted to perform that kind of work.
    And that's fine but the person who started this thread wanted to know who would and who would not have a guy perform a massage on them. I'm glad that you don't have a problem either way, but I do. Some people are perfectly comfortable in a nudist colony, I'm not. Some people have no problem eating raw fish, I do. Some people shoot heroin, I don't. I'm sure you see my point. I didn't want to steer the person who began this thread in the wrong direction by saying "sure, I wouldn't mind one way or the other" when in reality, I do mind.

To Jonjons1girl: If you are in or near a big city (especially New York, LA, Chicago, etc.); if you set up your business in a professional manner and dress appropriately; if you present your business as a husband and wife team, I don't think you will have a problem. I truly believe that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Well normally a convicted sex offender will not be able to get their state licnese to do massages. So there is little chance of that happening.

But a massage is not anything sexual, unless you are going to a prostitution place. It is more of a medical thing.
    squackmaster Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

Jun 4, 2007, 12:33 AM
    Honestly... I'd feel more comfortable with a woman giving me a massage. Just in case there's "movement", it would just feel weird if a guy was causing it.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 12:46 AM
    Interesting topic, I was part of the massage society at Uni, and we offered free massages at one of the balls.

It was me and 2 girls massaging, my girlfriend was hanging around waiting for me (we got free entry to the ball for an hours massaging). There was a guy who wasn't very keen on being massaged by me, my girlfriend bullied him into it though. After the massage he thanked me profusely and said it was the best massage he'd had.

I think guys can give a little more power if you're after a hard massage, which can sometimes feel good, esspecially from a therapy point of view.

Jun 4, 2007, 08:32 AM
    He is a body builder and is very manly, you can tell that he is not gay (no offense to anyone who is!)! Not to mention we are married and have a child. He just loves to help people that have chronic pain like me. So with that said what do you think?

Jun 4, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Oh and can you tell me what city you are in with your answers. Just because we have been told only big cities would be best for our business.

Jun 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
    He is a body builder and is very manly, you can tell that he is not gay (no offense to anyone who is!)! Not to mention we are married and have a child. He just loves to help people that have chronic pain like me. So with that said what do you think?
    Well, like I said in an earlier post, my chiropractor had to unexpectedly massage me once prior to adjusting my spine. I knew him really well and was comfortable enough that it didn't bother me. I suppose the same thing would be true if I came across a similar situation i.e. I felt comfortable enough. However, if I just simply walked into a legitimate massage therapy location, I would prefer a woman massage me. It's something that comes naturally to me. It's probably true that 90% of the male massage therapist in our country are straight but I'm just not comfortable with the possibility of coming across someone who falls into the other 10%. I'm sure that some politically correct individual will come across this post and call me a homophobe or some such ridiculous name but I really don't care if they do. I don't "fear" or have a phobia towards "gay" men, It's just that their lifestyle disgusts me. No more and no less. One thing this country allows is freedom of opinion.

Jun 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Oh and can yall tell me what city you are in with your answers. Just because we have been told only big cities would be best for our business.
    Your business may very well thrive in a mid-sized city as well, it's just my opinion that bigger cities are generally more liberal than smaller towns so people in a bigger city would probably have less of a problem with a male massage therapist than people in smaller, more rural areas. I've lived in or very near some of the biggest cities in this country and I've lived in towns with less that 2000 people. Bigger cities are more liberal than smaller towns and coastal big cities are more liberal than midwestern big cities. If you really wanted your business to thrive, move to San Francisco or Boston.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jun 4, 2007, 06:25 PM
    When you go to a massage therapist, there's nothing sexual going on. I have no problem seeing a licensed massage therapist, male or female.

Boys that don't grow up don't ever mature into "real men". They hold on to irrational thinking and never face the question of why they are so insecure around other men.

I am secure enough with my body, my masculinity, and my "status as a man" to not be worried about the massage therapist being male or female... I'm more concerned about the quality of their work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

Contact with therapist after therapy? [ 14 Answers ]

Is it considered ethical to have contact and/or establish a friendship with a counselor or therapist after treatment is complete? Why I'm asking is because we now live on the same block (just 2 houses apart) as a counselor I saw for 3 years. Since we moved here, we've been friendly with her and her...

Therapist as my friend [ 3 Answers ]

I became friends with my therapist after therapy was concluded. Now he is having his own mental health issues and I do not know how to handle it. Any advice?

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

My son is seeing a speech therapist [ 39 Answers ]

Okay so here is the deal. My son who is two (as you all know lol) is seeing a speech therapist. The doctor prescribed it, so I went along with it for a few weeks. Well now she is getting kind of weird. There are a few things that bother me about her. 1) she says that he needs behavior management...

View more questions Search