Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Terri Diegel Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Lien on home
    Hi,
    If my husband and I sign a promissory note oweing someone money, can they automatically put a lien on our home without our permission?
    Thank you
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Are you on the Deed?
    Terri Diegel Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Yes, both my husband and I are on the deed.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Normally the lien will have to be approved by both parties. Just like he cannot sell it without your permission.

So if they have place a lien on the home without your consent have it removed.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 04:27 PM
    I had an HOA put a lien on my investment property without notifying me. I don't know if given the nature of HOAs it's different, but I can tell you for sure it happened! If you don't get a firm answer here, see if you can call a real estate attorney in your area; some will give advice over the phone at no charge, or will only charge a small amount.

Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 08:15 PM
    If you are signing a note, please read all the fine print to be sure it does not allow, But on a basic signuture loan, were nothing is being used to secure the loan, you would have to be in default on the loan, and they could get a judgement and then place a lien ( and even that depends on state law)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment or lien [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had my bank acount garnished for a judgment against me. However some of the funds taken from the account were SSA payments paided to my children. The funds were paid through direct deposit. Could I get that money back? I have not receive any notice from the collect asking for...

Lien home for medical bills [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is retired and has to work part time just to make ends meet. She got sick before she started drawing her social security and had to have an emergency surgery, which she did not have insurance coverage. She applied for assistance and they paid the hospital bill for her and she was under...

Lien on House [ 2 Answers ]

One of our past clients has owed us money since August 2006. I would really like to collect the money but she won't pay. The first time she paid she wrote us a bad check, now we can't seem to collect the money because she has none in the acct. I want to file a lien on her house, how do I do...

Tax lien [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Maryland and have federal tax lien against me for $5,000.00 It was issued in 1996. I was unaware of it, but want to pay it. Where do I send the payment. Also, is there a statue of limitations on a federal tax lien. Thanks Leigh072055

View more questions Search