Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVORADIO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Electrical wiring to my garage
    I'd like to replace a pair of overhead electrical wires (120 volt - 2 wires) that run from my house to my garage, about 25 feet. I just happen to have a roll of wire, size 14-3 with ground type UF (underground feeder) Rather than dig up my lawn, garden and bury the cable, I'd like to simply string this cable from my house to my garage. I think the UF cable is suitable for exposure to sunlight...

Any suggestions?

(other than digging my lawn/garden) ?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 11:15 AM
    UF cable is rated to be outdoor and is sunlight resistant, however, it is not rated to be installed as an aerial cable alone.

What has been done is to install two wood screw type porcelain insulators,one at each building, install a steel aircraft cable as a messenger cable, and wire tie the UF to the messenger.

You can do all the assembly on the ground. Be sure to use black ty-raps (wire ties), as they are the only ones rated sunlight resistant.

The messenger will take the weight of the UF cable and keep any strain off the UF cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to find out the cubic inches of 2/0 awg thhn wire

New pole garage needs wiring [ 1 Answers ]

We have just had a new garage (30x36)built and we would like to run the electrical wire ourselves. We plan on having a bathroom and all the other normal garage stuff, heater hanging from the ceiling, compressor, security cameras and a washer and dryer in bathroom. We have a couple questions...

Garage electrical feed [ 1 Answers ]

Recently had an electrical contractor come in and upgrade the old 70 amp service to house. He put in a new Federal Pioneer 60 Amp Main on a 24 circuit panel explaining that is all we would probably need due to the demands we have and may possibly have in the future. I still have 5 empty circuits...

Electrical Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring my basement. I am by no means a professional but I generally figure things out and like to adhere to code and inspections. I am running a line of recepticals around a corner. My questing is, Do I have to drill holes in the 2X4's in the corner or can I bring the cable up...

Electrical wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How to wire a sub panel for the purpose of installing a new elctric range in a remodeled kitchen. The main panel is a 100 amp square d breaker box , as is the new sub panel box. Sincerely, bill rinaldi Scranton, pa.

View more questions Search