Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichelleD Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 07:16 AM
    How long do alternators last?
    I was just wondering if I was stupid to replace a well functioning alternator: My husband has a 94 Dodge Dakota truck with 99,000 miles on it and a dead battery. I jumped it and brought it to the repair shop. They put in a new battery but said they were getting low readings when the AC and lights were on, making them think it was either a bad alternator or an electrical problem. I agreed to have them put in a new alternator, but the problem was still there and they told me I needed to go to another shop that had the right equipment to better diagnose it. I had a choice about putting the old alternator back in, or keeping the new one and I told them to keep the new one in. It gave the same low readings as the old one. The next shop told me there was no problem at all and that all their readings said it was working great. I'm sure my husband thinks I was dumb for getting the alternator (although he has not said so... ), but I figured he wants to keep the truck for several more years, and maybe it wasn't a bad idea. What do you think?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 07:51 AM
    To some, preventive maintenance is a waste of time and money. Their attitude is, "if in aint broke, don't fix it." From a preventive maintenance point of view, you were "in the zone" for replacing it. Alternatior bearings and brushes often need replacing between 75,000 and 150,000 miles. I'm a preventive maintenance type of guy, so I don't fault what you did, especially if you plan on keeping the truck.
    hakunah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 09:24 PM
    You shouldn't be so gullable especially these mechanics at the shops will try to sell you any parts they want to sell you to increase their profit. Alternators are functional until you see the warning light on your instrument panel.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 11, 2009, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hakunah View Post
    You shouldn't be so gullable especially these mechanics at the shops will try to sell you any parts they want to sell you to increase their profit. Alternators are functional until you see the warning light on your instrument panel.
    That's not exactly correct.

Most vehicle charging system lights are only going to come on if there is a low charge rate. You could have a poor charging system without a low charge rate. Say for example, if the diodes failed, the charging wave form would be wrong, but the charge rate would still be there. The battery would not like the "taste" of that A/C wave form. Another concern would be if it is over charging. That could damage the battery quicker, too.
    The first shop indicated that further diagnosis was in order and she decided to keep the alternator. Being cautious isn't the same as being gullible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long is too long to have depression? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm Ariel and am 16 years old. I have had depression for about 7 years starting around the time my parents were getting a divorce. My mother took me and my 3 other sisters to a Phsyciatrist for about a year then took us out for awhile then took me back in all within 2 years. I have been very strong...

A long long thread [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there. I've decided this to be a long thread because I will ask many many things and I hope to discuss many things here. If a coin is placed on a piece of card resting atop of a jar, it is possible to flick the card away sharply so that the coin falls into the jar. Explain why this is...

Long-short-long [ 2 Answers ]

Hey you Okay I have a dilemma.For along time I had Long hair(almost to my butt)but then I started working out and it would get sweaty so I cut it shorter(wayyy shorter like I cut off over 20 inches)but now I kind of miss my long locks! All I can do is wait.But every time I had long hair somehow I...

How long does it take... [ 26 Answers ]

To get over a 2.5 year relationship that I have ended? Just so that I have an idea of what I'm up against. One month? Two?

View more questions Search