Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jemma_daniels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 06:00 AM
    hair stripping!
    hi there,

I've just made an even more huge mistake than before.

I have been dying my hair for years, and about a year and a half ago I dyed my hair 'chocolate brown'. This then came out as black and has been the same since. I never knew what to do with it before, so just kept putting the same colour on top to cover the roots. I'm now sick of it and want a nice reddish lindsay lohan colour. Instead of re-dying my hair this dark colour, I put a light auburn colour on, hoping it would leave my hair a nice dark chestnut all over. Instead, it is patchy with bright ginger roots and still black at the ends. It looks a real mess and I'm going on holiday next week :eek: ! I've just been into some salons that want to charge £60.00 to strip it of the colour. I can't afford this as I need my spending money.

luckily my boyfriend's mum is a hairdresser, but not a trained colourist. Will she be able to just put bleach on it and then dye it once it is all one colour?

please help me! I don't know what to do. I'm tempted to just whack the dark colour on again, but I'll be starting the cycle all over again, and want a nice light colour for my summer holiday.

x.
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

May 30, 2007, 06:45 AM
    You can buy OTC color strippers, they supposedly give you a neutral base to apply haircolor over. I have never used one myself, but you may want to research some and see what you think.
    luckystar Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jemma_daniels
    hi there,

i've just made an even more huge mistake than before.

I have been dying my hair for years, and about a year and a half ago i dyed my hair 'chocolate brown'. this then came out as black and has been the same since. i never knew what to do with it before, so just kept putting the same colour on top to cover the roots. i'm now sick of it and want a nice reddish lindsay lohan colour. instead of re-dying my hair this dark colour, i put a light auburn colour on, hoping it would leave my hair a nice dark chestnut all over. instead, it is patchy with bright ginger roots and still black at the ends. it looks a real mess and i'm going on holiday next week :eek: ! i've just been into some salons that want to charge £60.00 to strip it of the colour. i can't afford this as i need my spending money.

luckily my boyfriend's mum is a hairdresser, but not a trained colourist. will she be able to just put bleach on it and then dye it once it is all one colour?

please help me! i don't know what to do. i'm tempted to just whack the dark colour on again, but i'll be starting the cycle all over again, and want a nice light colour for my summer holiday.

x.
    Those salons saying £60 are reasonable... they have to use a special stripper that isnot going to knacker your hair so thts why is so expensive... I dyed my hair black 2 years ago and it cost me 120 to get the colour out.. and even then its not your natural colour most of the time its kind of ginger, but it fades the more you wash you hair... then it relaxes and turns back to your natural colour... its worth it if you don't want it to grow out...
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 3, 2007, 04:22 PM
    In order to go from dark/black to a decent shade of red or Lindsay Lohan's color, you will need to pre-lighten your hair with bleach and then apply the desired color. Anything other than that may result in an upleasant color. You should consider getting your hair done by a professional.
    michellehabazin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 12:03 AM
    Im in the same situiaton, I dyed my hair every color in the book and finally went BLACK. It was disgusting, Ive left it for about 6 months and now I have light roots and black on the bottom, its not that noticeable but it looks tacky. Go to a professional color stylist. Stripping products are extreemly harsh on your hair. Spend the extra money on it, you no your going to walk away with lovley hair. If you do it yourself you can risk it all breaking off if you don't do it properly :S
    sarah123 h Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 11:40 AM

I am going through the same reason, I have just highlighted only the top layer of my hair not my bottem layer and it has gone a horiible colour and I want to go to get it stripped or get the dye removed , I am going to a perfetional hairdressers and I will tell you what they said and what is the best option x
    sweetness69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Need to strip my hair of everything!! Helllppp PLEASE!!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetness69 View Post
    need to strip my hair of everything!!! Helllppp PLEASE!!!
    I'll recommend ColorFix, Color Oops, Color Zap, Effasol, Igora Phantom, Color Charm Color Corrector, and there are a bunch of new ones. This will strip out the artificial haircoloring and leave your hair prepared to accept new haircoloring.

Don't expect it to be your natural color (or even a nice-looking color) after you use these. You will have to re-dye the hair (presumably a different color).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stripping black hair at home [ 14 Answers ]

Hey everyone, After many hours searching the net I finally found this site... I am a natural blonde and dyed my hair red, then purple, then brown and eventually blue black. Now I want to go back up to red... I went to the hairdresser today and they quoted me well over £100 to strip the...

Stripping hair color [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Just yesterday I dyed my hair with a Clairol med brown color. My natural color is brown with red undertones. I am a warm. I have colored my hair over the years. I dyed it and it came out way to dark. It is like black on the bottom and on the top at my roots it is alburn. I want to...

Stripping my hair color then dying it AND highlighting it? [ 2 Answers ]

I've dyed my hair many times myself from brown to blonde and now I'm brown again. My hair is a little fried from all the dying and straightening. I just want to go to a salon and finally have them do my hair, I think because I've dyed my hair so many times though they will probably strip the color...

Stripping hair [ 1 Answers ]

Few months ago I dyed my hair dark brown with a semi perminat hair colour, then a week ago I dyed under my fringe with a dark red, that is semi perminant as well, is there any home remidides to use to completely strip that out your hair, I herd lemon juice works but how often do I have to use it or...

Colour Stripping on Hair [ 1 Answers ]

I Used to be bright blonde and stupidly decided to dye my hair brown I had this done at a salon. I then used a home kit and went over it in red , so now I have reddy brown hair. I did this about 2 months ago I now want to dye it back blonde , I went to a good local salon who did a strand test and...

View more questions Search