Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chazsgang Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2005, 10:12 AM
    Router Advice
    Hi Folks,

I need some advice if possible on the best wirelless router to buy for my needs.

My PC is connected to 2mb broadband downstairs, currently using speedtouch 530 modem. I want to buy a wireless modem that will give me as good or better performance and allow me to connect my sons PS2 and Xbox to the internet. His bedroom is located upstairs and there is no way that I can use wires.

My daughter also has her own PC in her bedroom which will need connecting at a later date.

Any advice on the most suitable would be appreciated. Also, I'm not sure about wireless so would I need to buy aany extra adapters etc?

Thanks

Charllie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2005, 02:28 PM
    To use a Wireless LAN you need a router, a wireless access point (WAP) and wireless network adapters. You also need a broadband Internet connection which you have.

In most cases, a device referred to as a "Wireless router" is actually 3 devices in one box. It includes a router which takes the Broadband connection and shares it among all PCs on your LAN. A WAP which allows you to communicate with devices that have a Wireless network adapter. Finally, it includes a 4 port switch for wired connections.

There are several manufacturers making wireless routers. Generally these routers come in 5 flavors; 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11g enhanced and 802.11 preN. A WEB search on 802.11 should get you a lot of details about these. 802.11b is older and slower. 802.11a is newer and faster but incompatible with 802.11b. 802.11g is still newer and about as fast as 802.11a. Several mfgs, have ehnhanced versions that increase performance by about 30%. Finally, there is the new PreN devices. 802.11N is a new, unapproved specification that provides for greater range and speed and more security.

Another factor in this is the use of the game machines. You need to get gaming network adpaters for those. Not that many are available in 802.11g. And the ENTIRE network will operate at the speed of its lowest component. So if you have one 802.11b device on the network, then the entire network operates at 802.11b.

I would check out what's available from the major manufacturers (Linksys, Belkin, Netgear and D-Link) to see if they have the stuff you would need.

Regular 802.11g has a range of up to 300 feet. The size of your house, the type of construction, and other factors, affect performance.
    chazsgang Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2005, 12:50 PM
    Hi ScottGem,

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate your time.

That has given me something to go on so I will have a look now with a bit more knowledge.

Thanks again.

Charllie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WAP vs Router [ 14 Answers ]

So what is the difference between WAP and a router? I have a router with 4 computers wireless and 2 desktops wired. All have their own internet access (I don't access the internet through any one computer). I want to get a wireless printer server. Would I hook that up to another port on the...

Router shutdown [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Linksys router which works fine most of the time. But when I try to use multimedia (such as on line radio), I loose connectivity and have to power the router off/on to restore connection. I can go to any site, as long as I don't try to listen to music online there is no problem. Have tried...

CNC Router [ 2 Answers ]

We are using WINCNC. Is there something better? We have a Warthog CNC router, but the manufacturer's tech support isn't helping us very well. We checked the resolution and backlash compensation, but our cuts are out of the path at at the entry and withdraw points of the lines. A straight line...

Choosing a router. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody recommend a good wired router for my home network? I have 3 PCs, 2 WIN XP SP2, 1 WIN 98SE. I also have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem. I'm thinking maybe firewalled for extra security. So far I've put my eye on the Linksys BEFSX41. ANY suggestions are apreciated. Thank you!! :)

2 router lan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm at a complete loss here... Net goes into a 4 port Netgear router. 3 ports are directly connected to computers, one runs down to another room. In that room is a lynksys router, that used to be a 3Com hub. The line from the netgear goes into the router, then 2 computers are attached...

View more questions Search