Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 29, 2007, 08:09 PM
    The Future of Energy
    I recently saw a commercial about energy and there was a guy who had what looked like a mini-marshmallow, on fire, in the palm of his hand. Stating, "This is the energy of the future..."
    What, pray tell, was that substance he was holding and does it has a potential?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Helium 3 is the reason China, India, Russia, and the United States are all going to the moon. The sun blows out enough Helium 3 each hour to power the earth for decades. Our atmosphere blocks it but scientist say the moon is saturated with it and there is enough readily available to power the earth for 10,000 thousand years. It is much safer than hydrogen and nuke power and will run a reactor much like nuke power. As far as the commercial you saw... don't know.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 29, 2007, 08:50 PM
    It's available on the moon? He must have had a sample created here on Earth. Is it costly to be produced? I can't see a ton of PCV pipes running all the way to the big cheese... Isn't somebody on this?
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
    They will strap huge tanks to the shuttle and exchange them with full ones. There hasn't been any reason to go back to the moon until we had the vehicle to go get it. Still a bit shaky but I think they have new technology to replace the exploding shuttle system. Don't know exactly how they will extract it. They got most of their first samples from the moon rocks brought back when we went. They are completely saturated with it, the whole moon is. I think the space station has been collecting it also.
    Hey, it beats burning marsmallows for heat!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 11:36 PM
    We need to know how to maintain controlled fusion reactions before we can take advantage of He-3. There's several million tonnes of it in the Earth's mantle, and quite a bit of it in the Earth's atmosphere too. But the moon is probably the easiest source of it to get to.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 05:36 AM
    I haven't seen the ad in question, but he may have been showing a way to store hydrogen in a form that would work well in a hydrogen-powered car. One of the main technical issues in adopting hydrogen as a fuel for cars is how to store it on board in a safe and efficient manner. Unlike propane or natural gas hydrogen is hard to compress in a pressure tank to a density suffiecient enough to provide enough range for the car. One leading technology that is getting a lot of attention is the use of metal hydrides that can capture and hold hydrogen molecules in its interstices, and then release it when heated. Here are a couple of wikipedia article on hydrogen cars and hydrogen storage:

Hydrogen vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hydrogen storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 07:52 AM
    The total amount of helium-3 in the mantle may be in the range of 100 thousand to a million tonnes. However, this mantle helium is not directly accessible. Some of it leaks up through deep-sourced hotspot volcanoes such as those of the Hawaiian islands, but only 300 grams per year is emitted to the atmosphere.

Wikipedia
    Helium-3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    But the moon is probably the easiest source of it to get to.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 30, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    We need to know how to maintain controlled fusion reactions before we can take advantage of He-3. There's several million tonnes of it in the Earth's mantle, and quite a bit of it in the Earth's atmosphere too. But the moon is probably the easiest source of it to get to.
    Sorry, man. How much is "several million tonnes" to someone who is far more familiar with other means of measure. What will a single ton be capable of, eventually..

This might be part of the reason why this technology is not being, in my opinion, more "public." Too many times I get stifled by the varacity of terminolgy. Can we keep this in laymans terms?
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 02:43 PM
    A tonne is 1000 kg. I thought it was rather common language, apologies if you don't agree. It's not very much, really. Something like 50kg of He-3 would be able to fuel a power station outputting the same amount as an average powerstation would for a year. As magprob said, the mantle is very hard to get to, it's tens of km straight down, and a temperature of over 900 deg Celsius.

The reason that it is not more public, is the need for controlled fusion reactions to be developed. So far, they have not. The longest controlled fusion reaction has been for a few seconds.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 30, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Hey, I'm not offended. Common for some is totally foreign to others. The planet we live on and take for granted has more sub-cultures today than ever. I'm a professional auto tech and I can leave teckno-babble. My interest was in something I haven''t had any contact with. It seems interesting and I wondered where this is going. Forward, I hope!
    melissa thornton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    I recently saw a commercial about energy and there was a guy who had what looked like a mini-marshmallow, on fire, in the palm of his hand. Stating, "This is the energy of the future..."
    What, pray tell, was that substance he was holding and does it has a potential??
    The future of energy is in bio-mass, solar, geothermal, hydrogen and other alternatives. You can search BTR Network.com for more info on all the alternative energy sources...
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa thornton
    The future of energy is in bio-mass, solar, geothermal, hydrogen and other alternatives. You can search BTR Network.com for more info on all the alternative energy sources...
    Hello and welcome
    Thank you for your response. I've heard of these before, but He-3 is new to me.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jul 24, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    What, pray tell, was that substance he was holding and does it has a potential??
    It is some form of methane, it is from the deep ocean
    hover_rat Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Speaking of hydrogen, check this out!

YouTube - Saltwater Burns - John Kanzius

Tim
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Errrrm, what's he using to power his radio source, then?
    hover_rat Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Remember, this is in the infant stages. Just discovered by accident. But, if it has the capibility producing a flame over 2000 degrees F, it should be able to generate enough powerer to run a radio frequency transmitter as well.

Tim
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 09:44 AM
    As far as I can see, he's separating the water into hydrogen and oxygen via electrolysis and then combusting it which gives back energy and water.

It ain't going to break unity.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 04:03 AM
    On further thought, I still can't see how it would solve any energy crisis. But it could be an efficient way to desalinate water using only a little fuel.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 04:18 AM
    His radio freqency generator isn't running off that discovery nor the overhead lights. I'd need to see application before getting too excited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Energy [ 2 Answers ]

Is the decomposition of gaseous dinitrogen pentoxide to gaseous nitrogen dioxide and oxygen exothermic or endothermic? How much energy is released or consumed if 11.0g of nitrogen pentoxide is completely decomposed as described?

Energy [ 3 Answers ]

What is band gap?

Energy [ 1 Answers ]

I am stuck on this problem: A ball with a mass of M is on a frictionless curved track with a radius of R. The track sits atop a table that has height of H. Solve the following in terms of R,g,H, and M. a) the velocity of the ball b) the time it takes to hit the floor c) the distance D the...

View more questions Search