Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Yes precisely, the saltwater isn't even really acting as "fuel", the only energy being harvested is the energy from the radio waves.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 04:24 AM
    True, and that little Sterling engine is turning without a load. If he wanted to demonstrate power generation, perhaps he should have powered a plasma TV or something relevant.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 04:27 AM
    But I do think it could be an efficient way to desalinate water. I wonder how powerful the radio source is and if it could be powered by a generator, with the energy from burning the hydrogen being fed back into powering the generator, so that it requires little fuel. It could be very useful in 3rd world countries.

The fresh water would be a byproduct of the combustion.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 04:31 AM
    And if they could harness the heat by-product, they could light and/or heat buildings and homes...
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 05:18 AM
    I think it would be more efficient to just use a generator for that.. You're just losing energy through the desalination
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 09:04 AM
    I finally got a chance to see the video in question. Seems like these reporters are being taken in, and don't seem to notice that the energy being produced by the flame must be less than the energy the radio transmitter uses. This must be the case - otherwise he'd have a perpetual motion machine, which is impossible. I see this as a neat demonstration of a technique to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen. Could be of use as companies such as BMW look at possibly building hydrogen powered cars. If it's more efficient than the standard method of electrolysis that would be great, but none of the reporters asks that question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Energy [ 2 Answers ]

Is the decomposition of gaseous dinitrogen pentoxide to gaseous nitrogen dioxide and oxygen exothermic or endothermic? How much energy is released or consumed if 11.0g of nitrogen pentoxide is completely decomposed as described?

Energy [ 3 Answers ]

What is band gap?

Energy [ 1 Answers ]

I am stuck on this problem: A ball with a mass of M is on a frictionless curved track with a radius of R. The track sits atop a table that has height of H. Solve the following in terms of R,g,H, and M. a) the velocity of the ball b) the time it takes to hit the floor c) the distance D the...

View more questions Search