Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    move_over_man Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Win32 application?

Hello... I recently attempted to download a game for my PC. I think it's called "Army America Demo, and after the file transfer completed 99% it failed for some reason. No problem, right? I can just delete it and try again, you know? Wrong! It won't let me delete part of it. When I click on the window shortcut it says "C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\ArmADemoUS(2).exe is not a valid Win32 application."
    When I right click on it and press the delete option, I get this... "Cannot delete ArmADemoUS(2) it is being used by another person or program. Close any program that may be using the file and try again." AAAARGH! How do I get rid of it? My registry cleaner won't wipe it out either! Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!!
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 30, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Ok this is only a suggest but, There must be a part of windows or another program, or System 32 files this program is using. So first try deleting it from windows safe Mode as safe mode only using minimal necessary programs. There may be one other way to delete this program which could also be if running 95-98 shutting down windows into MS-DOS mode and using DOS to Delete it, but only if you know the MS-DOS commands. Also I guess you have tried to remove it with the ADD REMOVE program option in the control panel but because only 99% of the program was copyed the ADD REMOVE didn't work. If you haven't tried this then try it.

Other than that shutting down as many programs in the Windows Task Manager or task Bar as you can including all programs on the task bar in the right botton corner. Then try deleting again.

One other thing that many work is finding out the property's of the Execute file for this program and find out if there is any files connected to this execute file. Eg any files or programs that this prgram may be using to run. Then u can shut this down.

If this helped rate it.
    move_over_man Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 08:14 PM
    All very good suggestions... I have tried all of them to no avail. I am more lost now than before ;-{D) Does anyone happen to know the MS-DOS commands for Windows XP? Anyone?
    Thanks for the advice though, dchdman!
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jun 4, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Only a few I know

Dir = Directory search which list all files with date of creation and size of files
    Dir/p = Directory search which list all files with date of creation and size of files with page break
    Dir/w = Directory search in written form
    Dir/w/p = Directory search, written form with page break
    Rename simply = that Example Rename Golf.Exe Golf.Bat*.*
    Del = Delete now this can be done two ways Example. Full folder delete = Del*.*
    One File Delete = Del Golf.exe*.*
    Cd.. = Go back one directory Example = C:\windows Type cd.. to go back to just C:\
    CD\ = Go back to root drive Example = C:\windows\system32 Type Cd\ to go back to just C:\
    CD = change folder example = Your in C: and what to go to C:\windows you Type CD windows. Works for all folders
    Mem = Memory Listing.
    Exit = Exit command prompt. When using windows 95-98 also restarts windows.

Type Help should give you more.

Windows Xp doesn't really have MS-Dos but you can get into it from safe mode. Shut down into command prompt. Do this and then type CD\ which will take you back to C:\. Then type Cd Documents and settings. Then cd Compaq_owner and so on until your in the folder Desktop. Then Type Dir/w/p to get new of the file. Then type Del ArmAdemoUs*.* . It may work it may not with Xp. All commands are for MS-DOS and some do work in Xp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Up dating application [ 2 Answers ]

I recently applied online for a position. The application asked for the last 4 jobs, yet none of these jobs were detailed to what I was seeking. I have experience in this line of work but it was ten years ago and there was not room on the application for this and I meant to put in a brief...

Win32 [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot click on my icons on my desktop. I get the message " is not a valid WIN32 application" without the quote marks. How can I fix it so I can get the icons to work? [email protected]

View more questions Search