Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChinaMark Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2005, 07:12 AM
    The decision to breed!
    Hi,
    I just have a few questions which maybe someone can help me with. I've trawled the web for hours and just seem to go in circles!

1) What is the average size of a litter?

2) Is it safer to breed a medium/large size dog? (I have a rough collie)

3) What is the best age for a to have her first litter?

I only ask because I am planning on getting Echo spayed but at the same time I would also like other dogs in the future so I'm thinking about her having puppies and me keeping them all together as one big family. I know there are a lot of pups out there who need homes and adult dogs too but wouldn't it be better this way round?

I’d appreciate any comments good or bad on the moral, ethical and health grounds.
    Thanks
    Mark
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 15, 2005, 11:38 AM
    Have you looked at the pages on breeding at www.akc.org? There are some more questions you need answers to. Is she a fine example of the breed, sound both physically and temperamentally? Does she have undesirable traits to pass on? The same questions need to be answered about the stud too.

Litter sizes vary, often only 1 or 2, but 10 or 12 happen too. Do you have the money, resources, and the time to give proper care to a large number of dogs? Do you plan to let them stay outside as a pack, barking and disturbing neighbors? You will always have a creative or ambiguous one managing to get out of a fence, and maybe the rest to follow. One puppy is a lot to socialize properly. A whole bunch at one time? Keeping a collie looking good requires plenty of brushing. You need to think this over very carefully. How old will you be in 10-15 years? This just doesn't seem to me to be a good thing to do.

If you do go ahead, wait until she is a least 2, but not over maybe 6 years. 2 year olds are more ready for motherhood and it give more time to evaluate her and decide if she should ever be bred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ready to breed [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old dachshund dotson dog, we have recently found someone who has a female dotson,they want to breed her with my dog. Here's my question,how often does a female dotson go into heat,and aproxmicly when? With me having a male I have no idea. Also they don't want to give us the pick...

Pointer breed [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted a pointer from the humane society about 6 weeks ago. I want to know if anyone knows of a website for pointers. I want to know about them.

What breed is our puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

Pet store sold us a "poodle" -- but our Vet and groomer say he is not a poodle; perhaps a Havanese or a mix. Breeder and store owner will not admit an error, and breeder refuses to provide photos of dam and sire. There must be an expert who can identify the breed of this puppy.. . Help!

How old to breed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female daschund 5 1/2 month old how old does she has to be before she could start breeding?

Cross Breed Dog [ 0 Answers ]

Inbreeding brings out recessive traits. Closely related dogs are more likely to have the same recessive problems. I have heard of deliberately breeding siblings to see if there are problems. If that doesn't produce problems, then likely there won't be problems breeding to other dogs. So the...

View more questions Search