Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

May 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Issuing last name and not being married
    If you are not married and do not give your child the father's last name, can he fight it at court to try to put his last name on the child?
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 03:52 PM
    I guess it is really a matter of why your child doesn't deserve his fathers last name. I think if he is not on the birth cert. than he can get a paternity test done to prove that the child is his and then fight for rights to that child. Although it takes time and money to do it, he has every right to do it!
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 01:02 PM
    The likely hoods are no, it would have to be proven 'in th ebest interest of the child' But really, you should give the child the fathers name and not be so selfish!

Jun 10, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Well its not that I'm being selfish, he has verbally abused me throughout my whole pregnancy and hasn't been there for me at all he threatens me and all sorts of things and I don't trust him

Jun 10, 2007, 03:52 PM
    You say that you aren't being selfish but you keep saying "me me me" think about your baby, a fathers love for his child has nothing to do with it's mother.

Jun 10, 2007, 04:11 PM
    And I wouldn't be thinking about my baby if I wasn't thinking about his safety and he hasn't thought about his child for one second or provided anything for him.

Jun 10, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Okay, well I am not going to sit here and fuss back and forth. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers. I hope everything works out for you, your babby, and your baby's father.

Good Luck.

Jun 11, 2007, 05:07 AM
    Thank you appreciate it
    AmIParanoid Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Hey MarMar, I live in FL also. I also work in labor and delivery where these BC are created. You can name the baby whatever you want, the only way you can put the father's name on the BC is if he is present and swears with two witnesses that he acknowledges that he is the father and will be responsible for it for the next 18 years. I would not suggest naming the baby with his last name, unless you are definitely going to allow him have part in this babies life. HE DOES NOT HAVE ANY RIGHTS TO THE BABY UNITL PROVEN OTHERWISE. If his name is not on the BC then he can't even have the child for visitation but, that also limits you from receiving child support. If you feel like this guy is a threat to you or your child or he wouldn't create an outstanding citizen out of your child then don't push the issue with him. If he is verbally abusing you then quit talking to him, do you have caller ID, don't answer the phone!
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jun 11, 2007, 06:48 AM
    It is your baby and you can give it whatever name you like. He can't do anything about that. Let him try. I am not saying he shouldn't be a part of your child's life, but as for naming the child, you as the mother have that right. Its up to you as to whether he sees the baby, without him getting it all legal through the courts. But try to think not whether he deserves to have a relationship with the child, but whether the child deserves to have a relaitonship with his father. That is far more important. Good luck.
    kcoyle Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Jun 11, 2007, 06:54 AM
    You carried the baby, and are going to be the one who is going to have to go through the birthing process. You have earned the right to name your baby whatever you would like. Don't listen to the others who say "you don't have the right" and that "he's the father why wouldn't you give the baby his last name?'' That's completely up to you. I was married to the father of my baby, and now we are divorced. I'm 8 months pregnant and will not be giving the baby his last name. You, as the mother have the right to make that decision.

Jun 16, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AmIParanoid
    Hey MarMar, I live in FL also. I also work in labor and delivery where these BC are created. You can name the baby whatever you want, the only way you can put the father's name on the BC is if he is present and swears with two witnesses that he acknowledges that he is the father and will be responsible for it for the next 18 years. I would not suggest naming the baby with his last name, unless you are definitely going to allow him have part in this babies life. HE DOES NOT HAVE ANY RIGHTS TO THE BABY UNITL PROVEN OTHERWISE. If his name is not on the BC then he can't even have the child for visitation but, that also limits you from receiving child support. If you feel like this guy is a threat to you or your child or he wouldn't create an outstanding citizen out of your child then don't push the issue with him. If he is verbally abusing you then quit talking to him, do you have caller ID, don't answer the phone!
    Hey thanks, yeah I contacted the hospital and they pretty much told me the same thing.. where in Florida do you live?. Well we are trying to work things out, we had a talk and he has apologized to my family and I.. I am almost due for labor I have 2 more months.. I am hoping that I will see a change in him and this will determine my decision, because I really do fear that he would do something out of the ordinary, I'm thinking of hyphenating our last names if everything goes OK.

Jun 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kcoyle
    You carried the baby, and are going to be the one who is going to have to go throught the birthing process. You have earned the right to name your baby whatever you would like. Don't listen to the others who say "you don't have the right" and that "he's the father why wouldn't you give the baby his last name?'' That's completely up to you. I was married to the father of my baby, and now we are divorced. I'm 8 months pregnant and will not be giving the baby his last name. You, as the mother have the right to make that decision.
    Your completely right and that's exactly how I feel.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Jun 17, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Children take a family name and you are just as much family to you child as the father. You should not feel guilty about wanting the same last name as your child.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Do what is in your heart.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 18, 2007, 09:00 AM
    I don't think he can fight the name, but he can sue you for custody and/or visitation rights and demand a DNA test to establish paternity if he wishes. He would be required to pay child support, so he may not bother.

Jun 19, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Yeah and I don't think he wants to pay child support, that's another dilemma.. he can't keep a job he's already had about 4 jobs in the past 7 months of my pregnancy.. I don't know what he's going to do.
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 01:12 PM
    He is either going to suck it up and be a man or he will be a lame little boy! You on the other hand have the ways about you to protect and love your baby! Good luck to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am in love with 2 men, 1 is getting married and I am married to the other [ 12 Answers ]

Never ever thought I would be posting a question on a site - but life got me here:rolleyes: I am a happily married woman - happily married if you remove the sex out of marriage. My partner was never very interested in sex and that was something I had comfortably accepted. We lived happily for...

How to get married [ 4 Answers ]

How to get married in Atlanta? Where can I find the right courthouse?

Married or not? [ 1 Answers ]

I was married in April of 84' but was never registered at the courthouse in my County, Im I married or not? The reason I ask is I'm doing my own Divorce and just found out this information, where do I go to find answer's. Thanks for any answers... :confused:

He's Married Help! [ 23 Answers ]

I'm 21 yrs old I have been friends with this man for a long time. A couple of months ago a big group of us went out. We all ended up at one of our friends house afterwards. We had a great night but I have always like this man and he is married with three children. I never thought anything would...

View more questions Search