Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PhillyGuyOldHouse Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Adhesive? New ceramic tile install - one inch hex shape sheets
    Hello

I am putting in a brand new full bath where there had been just a half bath.. I am done the roughing in and the framing, cementboard, sheetrock, etc. - and I have a question about the tile installation.

For the floor, I chose an older style of tile that is the white octagon/hexagon shaped one inch tiles, which comes in one square foot sheets with mesh backing. The installation will be over half inch durock cement-board. I am just not sure about what type of adhesive I should choose given the relatively thin tiles and narrow grout joints. Fo all the other tile work I have done, I troweled on thin-set mortar and set the tiles with no problems.. but I am concerned that the thin set won't comb out smoothly with the trowel recommended for this smaller tile - I have heard that I should use a one-eighth inch notch, not the quarter inch one used for larger tiles with large joints... would it be safer to use a mastic rather than thin set? And how about the trowel notches - any recommendations for size or how much pressure I should apply when bedding the tiles?

I just want to make sure I don't have a huge mess with the adhesive pushing up between the tiles - causing lots of cleanup

Thanks

Pete
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2007, 09:32 AM
    You need modified thinset. It is more elastic and will trowel out just great.
    PhillyGuyOldHouse Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Modified thin set - thanks... do you mean the premixed stuff in a tub that has additives, or do you mean the traditional bag of powder that is mixed with water?

PE
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Phil, I do lots of small jobs and go with the 5 gal buckets. It keeps fairly long if sealed so I may get another job done without going to the store. Home centers sell 1 and 5 gal buckets of tile adhesive that should also work for you. You can't walk on ceramic for a day but its easy to use.
    txdoula Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Question... where did you find the sheets of hex tile? The only one I can find is marble, too expensive, so I'm looking for a more reasonably priced alternative, ceramic, etc. thanks
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 15, 2010, 07:51 PM

A real tile setter would never use mastic or any pre-mixed adhesive on floors or areas that will get damp or wet. Use real thin set ONLY. It ONLY comes in powder form in a bag. You don't want "handyman" quality in your home.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Porcelain vs. Ceramic tile [ 5 Answers ]

What is the difference in porcelain and ceramic tile? Does one wear better than the other? What about chipping, scratching, dulling, cracking, etc. Thanks for your help.

Drilling into Ceramic Tile [ 11 Answers ]

How does one drill into ceramic tile without cracking the tile?

Ceramic vs. Porcelain tile [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going to be tiling a bathroom. I'm told for the floor, porcelain is more durable and will be less prone than ceramic to cracking. This tile will be laid on a concrete sub floor. Will that fact help even the durability factor between the two types of tile? What would your preference be for...

Ceramic Tile as baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had some of my rooms tiled by a pro and he took off my wood baseboards and made baseboards from the tile. I am now trying to tile another room on my own. Does anyone know how to make the baseboards ? Do I baseboard 1st or floor tile 1st ? As specific as possible would be great! Thanks

View more questions Search