Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daisysmiles Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Changing homes
    I have had custody of my older boys 20 and 17 almost 18 for all there lives. WE have joint custody, but I have physical custody. My 17 year old who will be a senior this fall and will be 18 in October is going to live with his dad at the end of June. I am totally okay with this. His dad thinks he should be able to claim him on his taxes this year 2007 because of the move. I am not signing custody over at all, we are just suspending or stopping any child support. It will probably be at least July before we move. Also he is trying to say that the 17 yr old has spent a bunch of time with him since January. Which is true its probably split down the middle because he works with his dad. Can he do anything about all this?? Or does it come down to him having to have physical custody in order to change things. Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daisysmiles
    Can he do anything about all this????
    Hello daisy:

What could he possibly do? The answer is, NOTHING.

It's not up to you or to him to decide who gets to claim the exemption on your taxes. So, why argue with him over something that you have nothing to do with??

The IRS decides these matters by numbers, not personalities. IF the numbers line up with YOUR claim on YOUR tax return, you'll get the deduction. If they do in HIS return, he'll get the deduction. But, if you both claim him, BOTH sets of numbers won't work out, and somebody WON'T get the deduction. And, if you both claim him, the IRS will want confirmation of your numbers, so this isn't a guessing game.

In any case, you have nothing to do with it, so chill.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgages for mobile homes? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: Can anyone tell me if they now of any company that will give mortgage for a mobile home with back credit? Please help

Haunted homes [ 2 Answers ]

Is 14 saxon road haunted?

Abandoned Homes [ 3 Answers ]

I have been watching a home in Gardena, California. It has been abandoned for about 10 years. I called the tax assessor's office and they gave me the name of the owner. So I have that which is a good start. I called the city of Gardena to see if they owned the property and they said no. They...

Pre-fabricated homes [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a pre-fab home last year. Its about 18 years old, and the previous owners took really good care of it. I need to know if there is a website to help with repairs and maintenance. It's a Fleetwood. Any help would be appreciated.

Pre fabricated homes [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the steps and the process in the construction of a pre fab home. What makes it different from other construction methods?

View more questions Search